Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
arnieos
Level 9
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 41

Setup ePO for Legacy Systems

We are in the process of setting up a new ePO that will manage all the legacy systems of our client. They include Windows XP, 7, Windows Server 2000, 2003, and eventually 2008. The legacy systems, especially the servers, still play a critical role to the organization. As such, they cannot be just removed/upgraded to the newer OS version. Hence, creating a separate ePO only for them. McAfee products that will be installed are Agent and VSE. 

From what I read, Windows XP and 2003 can run on Agent 5.0.3 and VSE 8.8 p7 while for Windows 7 and 2008 are 5.6.1 and VSE 8.8 p13. 

I like to know which ePO version is a good fit to use? ePO 5.3, 5.9 or 5.10? 

Many thanks! 

40 Replies
vivs McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 41

Re: Setup ePO for Legacy Systems

Hello,

You can try installing the ePo 5.9.X and try to check in the extensions and products in Master Repository.

However, ePO 5.3.X is not supported and end of life.

if you are installing the ePO 5.9.X get installed and you started managing the machine.

You will get support for all the supported products and OS.

try to install the ePO 5.9.X and start managing the machines because there are few products which are supported.

IMPORTANT: Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 are not supported. Patch 7 is the last patch that can install on these systems. Only customers with extended support contracts are permitted to use the product on Windows XP and Windows Server 2003. See your extended support contract for details. This statement also applies to Windows Embedded Point of Service POSReady 2009 because this release shares the same kernel as Windows XP.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

arnieos
Level 9
Message 3 of 41

Hi Vivs,

Thanks for your response. Do you know if ePO 5.10.x can be used to manage those legacy systems? If yes, I think installing the latest version is always a best practice, though not sure for this specific scenario. 

vivs McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 41

Hello,

You can install the ePO 5.10 and try to check-in the extensions and packages.

If they worked well and fine but if not than again you need to re-install the ePO 5.9.x

Unfortunately i have not tested with the extensions and packages check-in with my ePO 5.10

But you can give a try and check.

Do you have any support case is also open?

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

JoeBidgood McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 5 of 41

ePO 5.3 is end-of-life and so we would not recommend it: 5.9 and 5.10 should both be able to manage the environment you describe.

The following KBs my be useful for reference:

Supported platforms, environments, and operating systems for ePolicy Orchestrator

Supported platforms, environments, and operating systems for McAfee Agent 5.x

Supported platforms, environments, and operating systems, for VirusScan Enterprise

arnieos
Level 9
Message 6 of 41

Hi Joe, Thanks for your response. The ePO will be installed on a Windows 2016 server. If the legacy systems can be managed by ePO 5.10 Update 4, then we will use that instead of 5.9. 

Reading this article, ePolicy Orchestrator 5.10.x minimum supported extension versions (KB90383), minimum supported extension version for Agent is 5.0.5.131 and VSE 8.8.0.655 (patch 11).

Can you confirm, it is only for extension in ePO right? We can still use the older version of Agent and VSE that are supported in Windows XP, 7, 2000, 2003? The minimum supported extension versions are backward compatible?

Thanks.

vivs McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 7 of 41

I tried checkin the MA 5.0.3 extensions in my ePO 5.10 and that gets checked in successfully.

However, Please try to checkin in your ePO 5.10 Update 4 and check, How it goes.

ePolicy Orchestrator 5.10.x minimum supported extension versions (KB90383
This means we have tested with those extensions only.

Can you confirm, it is only for extension in ePO right?
Yes

We can still use the older version of Agent and VSE that are supported in Windows XP, 7, 2000, 2003
Yes but that would not be supported with Technical Support as Windows XP ,2000 and 2003 is end of life.

The minimum supported extension versions are backward compatible?
Extensions should be the latest.

Was my reply helpful?

arnieos
Level 9
Message 8 of 41

Hi vivs,

Understood. I will try it as soon as I'm given access to the server where the ePO will be installed and will update this post for any development.

Thanks for the help and recommendation.

cdinet McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 9 of 41

Always try to use the latest extension version, as they are backward compatible in managing lower client versions.

Was my reply helpful?

I have to update this post. I'm in the process of setting up the ePO for legacy server and the management decided to use ePO 5.9.1. We have a SQL server that is different from the ePO server. It is the same SQL server that is used by our primary ePO. What details should I ask/give our DB team in order for them to create a DB for our new ePO?

I should have this ready before actually installing the ePO right?

Thanks.

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community