Did you mean: 
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 11 of 41

Re: Setup ePO for Legacy Systems

Hello,

Thanks for your response.

While running the ePO Setup it will ask for the Database Server and you can provide the details.

After providing the details you can start the ePO installation.

For permissions Please check below KB article:

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB75766

Was my reply helpful?

If you find this post useful, please give it a Kudos! Also, please don't forget to select "Accept as a Solution" if this reply resolves your query!

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 12 of 41

You should have the below things in hand when you setup a new EPO.

* Database server name/IP address

* Instance name (incase if you have given explicitly) 

* Port from ePO to Database server

* credential which you are going to use. If it is SQL account, get the username/password with below permissions.

* Permissions 

• Public
  • Dbcreator
Highlighted

OK noted. But what should I provide to our DB team in order to have those details ready?
* Database server name/IP address - I know this.
* Instance name (incase if you have given explicitly) - We have an instance for our primary ePO. Should I ask them to create a new DB under the same instance?
* Port from ePO to Database server - This is the same with the port found in https://localhost:8443/core/config right? I should be able to telnet from ePO server to SQL server to test connection.
* credential which you are going to use. If it is SQL account, get the username/password with below permissions. - Should I ask them to create a new one for this new ePO server?

* Permissions
Public
Dbcreator

For the permissions, I assume they will also be the one to set it up.

Thanks for the help.

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 14 of 41

Those details needs to be obtained from your DB team. Once your DB team created a new account with required permission, request them to share along with Server details/Port number/Instance name...etc

Highlighted

OK. But I want to make it as clear as possible on what details I should give when I contact them for the new DB. Is it as simple as "create a new DB for our new ePO server. Server name is server1. Create a new SQL account with the following permissions, Public and Dbcreator. Thanks."? 

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 16 of 41

EPO database will be created automatically when you install EPO. You don't have to provide any details to them. You have to obtain the mentioned details from your database team. I would recommend you to have glance on the below video to get basic idea about installation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kd6WKpnlB-Q

https://docs.mcafee.com/bundle/epolicy-orchestrator-5.10.0-installation-guide/page/GUID-8ABD4104-28B...

Highlighted

What about the permissions? A colleague of mine said those details should be created prior to ePO installation. A bit confused. 

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 18 of 41

Yes correct as i said earlier, you have to obtain those details from your DB team and your DB team would typically create local SQL account or windows account and provide necessary permissions.  

Highlighted

OK will do. Do you know which one is better, creating a DB for the new ePO for legacy systems under the same instance with our primary ePO? Or create a completely separate instance? Thanks.

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 20 of 41

It depends on your organization need. If you are using enterprise SQL version, then cost is involved in each instance as i know but you can double check. So you can have new ePO database on same instance.

Also if you would like to know the best practices to ensure the best performance and stability of your ePolicy Orchestrator environment, kindly go through the below article.

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB90961&actp=null&viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_U...

Was my reply helpful?

If you find this post useful, please give it a Kudos! Also, please don't forget to select "Accept as a Solution" if this reply resolves your query!

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community