cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up new ePO 5.3

Hi All,

I'm currently setting-up a new ePO server v5.3 on Windows Server 2012 R2 and meeting all other hardware requirements as per McAfee installation guide.

While setting up the ePO I'm using all the port options as per McAfee guide. All the ports on the server are not being used by any other service and only configured for ePO inspite of which when I run netstat on the server after the ePO installation is completed, it won't show me that the server is listening on ports 8081 (Agent wake-up communication port) , 8082 (Agent broadcast communication port) or 8444 (Client-to-server authenticated

communication port).

The server on which I'm setting up the ePO is not behind any hardware firewall for now and also the software firewall is turned off on the ePO server still the above ports won't be listening nor I'm able to telnet onto these ports from my desktop which I should be since as I said the ePO server is not behind any firewall as of now.

I have tried changing the ports to some non-standard ports too but still they too don't work. Have also tried ePO 5.3 and 5.3.1 insllation but both gives the same problem as above.

I exported framepkg from the newly installed ePO server and installed it on one of the machines which installs fine and is reported by the ePO but non of the client tasks such as delpoyment or update tasks are being commpleted on the machine when run from the ePO. The client task times out and the McAfee business support suggests this is due to the ports related issue above since the  Agent wake-up communication port (8081) needs to work on ePO which isn't listening and I can't figure out what could be the reason.

Can someone please advise on possible reasons for this issue and how to remediate it? I have run out of options to set-up new ePO and any suggestions to resolve this issue will help.

6 Replies
m_bk
Level 9
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 7

Re: Setting up new ePO 5.3

hi,

do you have any host firewall on your desktops??

Highlighted

Hi @good friend I can confirm there is no Windows or any other firewall active on my desktop from where I'm checking the connection nor on the ePO server still the mentioned ports are not Listening on the server.

Reliable Contributor andrep1
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 7

Have a look at this KB, it might just be a direction issue: agent wake up is listened by managed agents not epo. Easy test is to deploy an agent from ePO and wake it up from ePO. Functionnal testing is easier...

McAfee KnowledgeBase - Ports needed by ePolicy Orchestrator for communication through a firewall

Hi Andre, thanks for your reply.

I have tried installing agent from the ePO onto one of the machines and Agent Wake Up fails from it. When I spoke to McAfee business support they said, Agent wake-up communication port needs to be open from both which is crucial but when I configure this port while setting up ePO, I'm still not able to telnet onto the ePO server over configured port.

Reliable Contributor andrep1
Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 7

I wouldn't focus too much on the test, I can't event do that here (I just realized this morning) and the agent comms are working fine. Might just be an issue with the test itself.

netstat does show the listeners on my ePOs

Hi Andre, even I though as much that the test can't be completely reliable but in my case Agent Wake Up call, Client deployment tasks from the ePO are both failing as well as the netstat is not showing port listening as configured. There are no firewalls block anywhere still it doesn't work.

McAfee Support too haven't been able to help with the above issue.

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator