Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ahamm
Level 9
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 6

Server upgrade from 2012 to R2 with EPO 5.0

Hi Folks, I'm planning an upgrade from 5.0 to EPO 5.1.1 but also to move from it from windows Server 2012 to windows server 2012 R2.

My first approach would be to upgrade the server OS, if possible, and later doing an in-place upgrade to EPO 5.1.1. Does anybody had some experience with something like that already?

The second approach would be, as we are running the system Virtual, to replace it with a new set of a windows Server 2012 R2 and an installation of EPO 5.1.1 with the same server name and IP, so I would not need to migrate the client agents, not sure if that would work at all.

The last approach is to do a separate installation and migrate all clients, which I think is the most effort.

I'm looking for some sort of advice or a hint, I simply want to reduce the effort.

Any Idea is welcome

5 Replies
Highlighted
Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 6

Re: Server upgrade from 2012 to R2 with EPO 5.0

Moved to ePO for better handling.

ahamm
Level 9
Message 3 of 6

After I have read the installation documentation of 5.1 I came to the conclusion to leave the OS with 2012 and just to the upgrade from 5.0 to 5.1.1 as an in-place upgrade.

If there is someone out there that has some experience with it please let me know, so I'm not getting into traps out there.

Easiest method would be along the lines of below:

You could snapshot the entire VM, then create a new VM based on the snapshot; do the OS upgrade, then ePO upgrade as a test.. if all works just update the old DNS record to point to the new server. Otherwise just continue working how you are and do the ePO in place upgrade.

From McAfee: The Agent uses either the last known IP address, DNS name, or NetBIOS name of the ePO server. If you change any one of these, ensure that the Agents have a way to locate the server. The easiest way to do this is to retain the existing DNS record and change it to point to the new IP address of the ePO server. After the Agent is able to successfully connect to the ePO server, it downloads an updated SiteList.xml with the current information.

ahamm
Level 9
Message 5 of 6

I'll give it a try, but may take some day's to get the change approved first. Once done I'll post the results.

Reliable Contributor Nielsb
Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 6

Hi ahamm what is the result of your upgrade? And only epo or also Windows 2012 to R2?

More McAfee Tools to Help You

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community