Did you mean: 
cheetah
Level 10
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 4

SQL TransactionLogfile Initial File Size

Jump to solution

Just a Simple Question.

What is the standard initial logfile size for the transaction logfile from ePO in the SQL Database?

Another question:

According to which criteria is this created and calculated?

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
McAfee Employee YashT
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 4

Re: SQL TransactionLogfile Initial File Size

Jump to solution

Hello @cheetah ,

The database engine uses the default size of 1 MB this is for all the sql database not only EPO.

Search criteria on google "sql transaction log file size"

How size is being calculated is as @cdinet  suggested.

Transaction log sizes are dynamic based on several things.

Recovery model - simple vs full.  Full recovery model requires frequent backups of the transaction log (every 15-30 min depending on environment).

Queries run - long running & complex queries can increase log size

How busy the database is - how many systems being managed, how many products and which ones.  Some run more internal tasks than others.  

There are many more factors when coming to the database, you have to research with Microsoft on how to manage the size.

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! l Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!

Thanks and regards,
Yash T

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Highlighted
McAfee Employee hem
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 4

Jump to solution

I am not sure if there is some fixed initial size for transaction log needed.

Google best practice for sql transcation log size #: 

SQL Server Transaction Log Administration Best Practices

https://www.sqlshack.com/sql-server-transaction-log-administration-best-practices/

Was my reply helpful?

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?
McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 3 of 4

Jump to solution

Recovery model - simple vs full.  Full recovery model requires frequent backups of the transaction log (every 15-30 min depending on environment).

How busy the database is - how many systems being managed, how many products and which ones.  Some run more internal tasks than others.  

I am sure there are other factors, but you can research with Microsoft on how to manage the size.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

McAfee Employee YashT
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 4

Jump to solution

Hello @cheetah ,

The database engine uses the default size of 1 MB this is for all the sql database not only EPO.

Search criteria on google "sql transaction log file size"

How size is being calculated is as @cdinet  suggested.

There are many more factors when coming to the database, you have to research with Microsoft on how to manage the size.

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! l Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!

Thanks and regards,
Yash T

View solution in original post

Want to Ask a Question?

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community