Highlighted
eg211
Level 9
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 7

SQL Server large DB size

Jump to solution

Hi There!

I'm currently helping my customer prepare upgrade their ePO 5.3.3. below is customer's environment:

ePO 5.3.3/ SQL server 2008 R2 Enterprise edition/ only MA/VSE managed by ePO/ about 700 nodes in total.

Currently customer's DB is over 90GB and we want to shrink it:

Snipaste_2019-10-23_10-21-38.pngSnipaste_2019-10-23_10-22-31.png

Snipaste_2019-10-23_10-30-08.png

I have followed mcafee KB76720 and kb83652, and purged eventid=1095 and 1092 events, but the db size is actually staying the same.

result of after purged 1092/1095 events:

Snipaste_2019-10-23_10-34-49.png

I'm not an SQL server expert but seems there dont have much data in the tables and the db size is still very large, is it normal and shall i proceed to shrink the db as described in kb68961?

Or it will be best if you can let me know why the db is consuming high disk utilization. thanks in advance.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
McAfee Employee rgc
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 7

Re: SQL Server large DB size

Jump to solution

Go to ePO DB right click properties.... you will see the space available will be increased & still the SIZE will be the same...

This means the purging is completed and those pages are blank now, to clear this blank, you need to shrink the DB.

Shrink is not mostly recommended, but for one or two attempts, it is fine...

Before you shrink, you need to take the ePO DB backup and then change the 
Recovery model to SIMPLE....

Once you right click properties for ePO DB.... click on Options tab and change the recovery model.

I could see your screenshots, which navigating the LDF file with almost 29GB, which will go away with changing recovery model and doing shrink

As you mentioned, you were planning to upgrade ePO....

I still assume, it could be epo 5.10, which is NOT supported with SQL 2008 the present version you were using.

Once the DB issues is resolved, you can install SQL 2012 and move this DB to new SQL 2012 and follow the KB68427 to get ePO communicate to new SQL 2012 or later with present ePO.

NOTE: SQL 2016 or later is NOT supported with ePO 5.3.3, so you should ensure you do this DB migration with sql 2012 or sql 2014 ONLY

Before you do upgrade, you need to ensure followed the KB71825 ePO checklist and all checks through EPIPA tool is passed without any warning or errors and then take complete folders and DB backup before proceeding for upgrade.

Raghavendra GC
McAfee Technical Support – APAC
Customer Success Group
www.mcafee.com
6 Replies
McAfee Employee rgc
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 7

Jump to solution

Go to ePO DB right click properties.... you will see the space available will be increased & still the SIZE will be the same...

This means the purging is completed and those pages are blank now, to clear this blank, you need to shrink the DB.

Shrink is not mostly recommended, but for one or two attempts, it is fine...

Before you shrink, you need to take the ePO DB backup and then change the 
Recovery model to SIMPLE....

Once you right click properties for ePO DB.... click on Options tab and change the recovery model.

I could see your screenshots, which navigating the LDF file with almost 29GB, which will go away with changing recovery model and doing shrink

As you mentioned, you were planning to upgrade ePO....

I still assume, it could be epo 5.10, which is NOT supported with SQL 2008 the present version you were using.

Once the DB issues is resolved, you can install SQL 2012 and move this DB to new SQL 2012 and follow the KB68427 to get ePO communicate to new SQL 2012 or later with present ePO.

NOTE: SQL 2016 or later is NOT supported with ePO 5.3.3, so you should ensure you do this DB migration with sql 2012 or sql 2014 ONLY

Before you do upgrade, you need to ensure followed the KB71825 ePO checklist and all checks through EPIPA tool is passed without any warning or errors and then take complete folders and DB backup before proceeding for upgrade.

Raghavendra GC
McAfee Technical Support – APAC
Customer Success Group
www.mcafee.com
eg211
Level 9
Message 3 of 7

Jump to solution

Hi @rgc ,

you are right, after shrink the db, the data file size and the log file size has been successfully reduced.

i will proceed to try to upgrade ePO to 5.9.1 for further confirmation. thanks.

eg211
Level 9
Message 4 of 7

Jump to solution

I have successfully upgrade ePO to 5.9.1.

Thanks for your help!!

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 5 of 7

Jump to solution

Glad to hear it!  Before doing any certificate migration, see KB90182 and make sure you have hf1226775r installed, as well as any other required hotfixes.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Jump to solution

Maybe you take a look at at the orionsnapshot?

It can take a lot of space.

You can truncate it with "truncate table Orionsnapshot".

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 7 of 7

Jump to solution

If they are going to upgrade, they should not truncate the snapshot table.  They may need to do a recovery at some point.  Always have full backups, know the recovery passphrase and ensure you have a good snapshot in the database before backing it up.  Also be sure to back up file system per kb66616.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

More McAfee Tools to Help You

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community