Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reliable Contributor twenden
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 4

SQL Express 2016 Backing up and Maintenance Plans

Jump to solution

We have just setup a ePO 5.9.0 server using SQL Express 2016. This is going to be a small setup as initially it will only manage 6 workstations. I have read that with SQL Express that you can't automate maintenance plans or backups. It also seems like sqlmaint.exe does not exist anymore.

Does anyone, who uses SQL Express 2016, explain the way that they perform backups of the database and perform SQL maintenance? What utilities can you use at the command line.

Thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 4

Re: SQL Express 2016 Backing up and Maintenance Plans

Jump to solution

For sql express, you can manually download the free version of management studio for it.  It is true, you won't be able to automate maintenance plans or backups.  However, once in management studio, you can right-click on your epo database and back it up manually from there.  You can also go to kb67184 and run the reindex script attached periodically.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

3 Replies
McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 4

Jump to solution

For sql express, you can manually download the free version of management studio for it.  It is true, you won't be able to automate maintenance plans or backups.  However, once in management studio, you can right-click on your epo database and back it up manually from there.  You can also go to kb67184 and run the reindex script attached periodically.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Highlighted
mattw2
Level 10
Message 3 of 4

Jump to solution

Would add to this that, whilst you can't schedule tasks via SQL Management Studio, you should still be able to do them.

They'd need to be done via Windows Task Scheduler and batch files.

see following for example for scheduled backup of SQL Express databases:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2019698/how-to-schedule-and-automate-backups-of-sql-server-...

Matt W.

Jump to solution

Hi

I'm running ePO 5.9 and Microsoft SQL Server Standard 2016 (migrated from Express Edition) what I currently use despite I have SQL Standard Edition is this free app to backup SQL SQL Backup Master - Free Off-site Database Backups

You can configure fully automatic backups! And it's super easy.. much better than doing it via SQL Management Studio

If you are running Express Edition of SQL Disaster recovery snapshot is turned off by default but you can manually turn it on.

Configure in ePO to take snapshot at e.g. 00:00 then after that e.g. 01:00 make full SQL backup of ePO DB with SQL Backup Master.

You can use Microsoft SQL Management Studio to restore DB or SQL Backup Master. SQL Backup Master does the same backup as you'd do it with SQL Management Studio it's just more easy and can also do compression. You can also set to keep let's say last 30 backups. You can configure a schedule and stuff.

More McAfee Tools to Help You

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community