cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Rogue System Detection Sensor Upgrade Method

Jump to solution

The only method I've found to upgrade existing sensors is mentioned in this thread --> Update RSD sensor.

It is suggested to create a custom search to show all systems with rogue sensors then use the 'Run Client Task Now' option. Problem is that option is greyed out if I use the select all check box. The trick to fixing that is to put a check mark in the select all box then uncheck a single system in the list. Now the 'Run Client Task Now' option is available. That works however I'd rather have the option to upgrade the sensor using the McAfee Agent - Product Update task in case a system is offline for some reason as it will run the task next time it talks to the server.

Another method that would work is to remove the existing 'Install RSD' deployment task from systems. The problem with that is I have hundreds of systems with the built-in 'Install RSD' task assined to them currently. The only way that I can successfully deploy a new sensor version using this method is by removing the existing task, waking up the agent so it gets unassigned, and then reassign the task so it runs. I do not see a way to remove assignment of the built-in 'Install RSD' or 'Remove RSD' Rogue System Detection Sensor deployment tasks from mulitple systems at the same time. The only method I've found is by modifying tasks of a single system. In hindsite I should have duplicated the built-in task and used the duplicate to deploy. Then, when an upgrade is needed I would be able to delete the existing task and create a new one so the upgrade would run.

The best method that I would like added to EPO would be to add the sensor upgrade to the 'Mcafee Agent - Product Update' task.

Labels (2)
Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 4

Re: Rogue System Detection Sensor Upgrade Method

Jump to solution

A product update would not work, as it is a product install, not like a VSE patch or something like that as in an available update option. 

You can set up an assigned task in the system tree, choose rogue system detection, sensor deployment.  Don't have it set to run immediately, but schedule it for a daily task until you get the systems upgraded.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

3 Replies
McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 4

Jump to solution

A product update would not work, as it is a product install, not like a VSE patch or something like that as in an available update option. 

You can set up an assigned task in the system tree, choose rogue system detection, sensor deployment.  Don't have it set to run immediately, but schedule it for a daily task until you get the systems upgraded.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Jump to solution

Ah, you are correct on the part about product update.

I'm not sure this will work on systems that already have the 'Install RSD' or 'Remove RSD' assignment. When I try and use the 'Add or Remove Rogue Sensor' option on a system that already has an existing RSD deployment task it gives me message saying there is already and assigned RSD deployment task.

I justed tested the method you gave and it worked. Thanks.

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 4

Jump to solution

Glad that worked for you!

Was my reply helpful?

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • Visit: Business Service Portal
  • More: Search Knowledge Articles
  • ePolicy Orchestrator Support

• Download the new ePolicy Orchestrator (ePO) Support Center Extension which simplifies ePO management and provides support resources directly in the console. Learn more about ePO Support Center