cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Rogue Sensor deployments and computers on Wireless subnets

Jump to solution

I am curious how others are addressing this. How to cover wireless subnets. Since most computers that use wireless move between wired and wireless networks, how to make sure the wireless subnets remain covered.

Thanks for any help here!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 2

Re: Rogue Sensor deployments and computers on Wireless subnets

Jump to solution

When a sensor is installed, it is going to listen to traffic on whatever nic is connected at the time, whether wired or wireless.  Just be aware of kb72808.  You also don't want it to pick up external traffic and start sending in random external systems as rogue to your environment.  Install on internal systems only.

RSD Sensors are not supported with VPN clients
Technical Articles ID:   KB72808
Last Modified:  7/5/2018
Rated:

Environment

McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator (ePO) 5.x
McAfee Rogue System Detection (RSD) 5.0.x

Problem

When the RSD Sensor is installed on a computer with a Virtual Private Network (VPN) client, there might be conflicts with the RSSensor.exe process and the VPN client, which could cause a system crash.

Cause

The RSD Sensor is designed to be installed on static computers in the environment to collect Layer 2 and DHCP traffic.

Solution

The RSD Sensor is not supported on a system running a VPN client.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

1 Reply
McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 2

Re: Rogue Sensor deployments and computers on Wireless subnets

Jump to solution

When a sensor is installed, it is going to listen to traffic on whatever nic is connected at the time, whether wired or wireless.  Just be aware of kb72808.  You also don't want it to pick up external traffic and start sending in random external systems as rogue to your environment.  Install on internal systems only.

RSD Sensors are not supported with VPN clients
Technical Articles ID:   KB72808
Last Modified:  7/5/2018
Rated:

Environment

McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator (ePO) 5.x
McAfee Rogue System Detection (RSD) 5.0.x

Problem

When the RSD Sensor is installed on a computer with a Virtual Private Network (VPN) client, there might be conflicts with the RSSensor.exe process and the VPN client, which could cause a system crash.

Cause

The RSD Sensor is designed to be installed on static computers in the environment to collect Layer 2 and DHCP traffic.

Solution

The RSD Sensor is not supported on a system running a VPN client.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • Visit: Business Service Portal
  • More: Search Knowledge Articles
  • ePolicy Orchestrator Support

• Download the new ePolicy Orchestrator (ePO) Support Center Extension which simplifies ePO management and provides support resources directly in the console. Learn more about ePO Support Center