cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogue Detection Question

Jump to solution

Does adding a device to the Exception list stop it from being scanned by Rogue Sensors?

Stewart
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 4 of 7

Re: Rogue Detection Question

Jump to solution

I asked one of the RSD advanced team members.  Once in exceptions, it is supposed to ignore it, so by that, it will not scan it again.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

6 Replies
McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 7

Jump to solution

It may do an initial scan to identify it, but it won't return any detection information back to epo. 

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Not quite what I need to know. It is a worry that scanning some equipment could disrupt processes on some items. If added to exceptions, does the scanner skip scanning it in the future or does it continue to scan that IP?

Stewart
McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 7

Jump to solution

I asked one of the RSD advanced team members.  Once in exceptions, it is supposed to ignore it, so by that, it will not scan it again.

Was my reply helpful?

Jump to solution

Sorry to keep asking about this, but re-read the Rogue Sensor Guide and it says that the sensors are passive and not actively scanning devices. It is a bit unclear to me how that works, but is the sensor actively scanning devices or not? I had read another report that the Sensors could disrupt Printer or Linux systems. Is there a concise conclusion on this?

Thanks,

Stewart
McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 7

Jump to solution

The sensor is passively listening on the network interfaces that are active on a system and will report the traffic that it picks up.  If a system is in the exception list, it will ignore that traffic.  RSD 4.x sensor versions had an option to do active scanning, but that option is no longer applicable to 5.x sensors.

Was my reply helpful?

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 7 of 7

Jump to solution

To ensure there is no active scanning for those exceptions, go to server settings, rogue system sensor, and add the ip's or mac/oui under sensor scanning,

This is a list of MAC addresses or OUIs that sensors should not scan, regardless of the sensor's policy
This is a list of IP addresses or subnet masks that sensors should not scan actively, regardless of the sensor's policy
This setting is relevant for 5.x and above sensors only

Was my reply helpful?

More McAfee Tools to Help You

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community