Did you mean: 
Nick_B
Level 11
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 10

Replication Failing to SuperAgent Distributed Repository

Jump to solution

Dear McAfee Community,

We have a number of SuperAgent Distributed Repositories and one of them is failing with an error code 5 (access is denied). Please see below.

Replication failing - failed to upload SiteStat.xml to site CZMODSSCCM01 - error code 5.PNGReplication failing - error code 5

As the device where the SAR is located is in a different domain to the ePO server, we've checked that there's an entry in the Hosts file on the ePO server and that's it up-to-date.

We were able to telnet to the replication port 8081 on the device, from ePO server.

There is an entry for the device in the routing table on ePO.

Interestingly, the device in question hasn't communicated with ePO since October 2018!

It's running McAfee Agent 5.0.6.220.

I was thinking to re-deploy the Agent, using a more recent version such as 5.6. For this we would ask the site contact to perform the install.

Any ideas would be gratefully received.

Cheers!

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 10

Re: Replication Failing to SuperAgent Distributed Repository

Jump to solution

Yes, definitely upgrade the agent.  That version has a known issue with the service crashing frequently.  If it still fails to replicate after upgrade, push it a policy to make it not a superagent, delete the repo directory that was created, then make it SA again.  That usually resolves it.  Don't pre-create the directory, or replication will fail.  The conversion process to SA will create that directory.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 7 of 10

Jump to solution

Yes, it uses lazy caching to populate the repocache directory under the db directory.  When the epo server is enabled in the agent repository policy, then that includes agent handlers - they are seen as the master repository (kind of like a virtual extension of epo).  So even though you don't see it specifically listed in the agent policy, the agents will have it listed in their repository list when epo server is enabled.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

9 Replies
McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 10

Jump to solution

Yes, definitely upgrade the agent.  That version has a known issue with the service crashing frequently.  If it still fails to replicate after upgrade, push it a policy to make it not a superagent, delete the repo directory that was created, then make it SA again.  That usually resolves it.  Don't pre-create the directory, or replication will fail.  The conversion process to SA will create that directory.

Was my reply helpful?

Nick_B
Level 11
Message 3 of 10

Jump to solution

Hi,

It's now got the MA 5.6.1.157 so it's looking a lot better already!

Thanks Caryn.

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 10

Jump to solution

Sweet!  Glad to help! 

Was my reply helpful?

Nick_B
Level 11
Message 5 of 10

Jump to solution

Just wanted to add that replication to that SADR completed in 4 hours and 59 minutes! 😉

Nick_B
Level 11
Message 6 of 10

Jump to solution

One more question on SADRs Caryn. Or more specifically it is about how the Agent Handler is able to download its content into its own Master Repository.

At this customer site, they have an Agent Handler in the DMZ which the majority of the endpoints talk to as they are outside the network.

In the McAfee Agent Repo policies, the ePO server and the SADRs are listed in these polices but the Agent Handler is not listed at all. However, if we look at the monitor (query) named "Repositories and Percentage Utilization - Last Day" it shows the Agent Handler (ePO_CZ...29) at the top of the list. Please see snip below showing this monitor. ePO_CZ...29 is the AH and ePO_CZ...28 (in 2nd position) is the ePO server.

Repositories and Percentage Utilization - Last Day.PNGRepositories and Percantage Utilization Monitor

My colleague was explaining to me how the Agent Handler is able to distribute updates to the endpoints.

Although the Agent Handler is not a SADR, it has some kind of internal mechanism whereby it downloads content as and when required (if an endpoint requests a file, the Agent Handler will download it, so a bit  like LazyCaching).

Does this sound familiar to you?

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 7 of 10

Jump to solution

Yes, it uses lazy caching to populate the repocache directory under the db directory.  When the epo server is enabled in the agent repository policy, then that includes agent handlers - they are seen as the master repository (kind of like a virtual extension of epo).  So even though you don't see it specifically listed in the agent policy, the agents will have it listed in their repository list when epo server is enabled.

Was my reply helpful?

Nick_B
Level 11
Message 8 of 10

Jump to solution

Thanks Caryn 😉

Highlighted
Reliable Contributor vnaidu
Reliable Contributor
Message 9 of 10

Jump to solution

@cdinet Thank you for the information, the same issue occured in our environment where we have around 24 repositories which are getting failed. Since we already know that we are running with EOL products like ePO 5.3.2 and MA 5.0.5, we are planning to upgrade the ePO, but at least we would like to get an immediate assistance to resolve the issue. If you could assist here, that would be of great help.

Logs for your reference.

Failed to upload file catalog.z to site xxxxx1001.roc.ABCDEFG.net:8081, error code 5 ( Access is denied. ), will retry

Failed to upload file Current\VSCANDAT1000\DAT\0000\Replica.log to site xxxxx1027.JIA.ABCDEFG.NET:8081, error code 5 ( Access is denied. ), will retry

Failed to upload file Current\AMCORDAT2000\DAT\0000\content-00010006-003581-dat.zip to site xxxxxx1003.got.ABCDEFG.net:8081, error code 10054 ( An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host. ), will retry

We look forward your help,

Venu
McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 10 of 10

Jump to solution
I just answered that in your other post.

Was my reply helpful?

More McAfee Tools to Help You

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community