cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Removing old product files on ePO server

Jump to solution

Hi all,

On older servers running ePO 5.9.1 I noticed that the directories *\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\DB\SoftwareManager has grown to around 19GB.

I didn't find any article or server task which would do something like a cleanup and remove all those files for software which has already been updated to newer versions. E.g. I found a folder which seems to contain the (installer) files for ENS 10.5. Of course there's already 10.7 checked in so no need for 10.5.

Is there any way to do this automated? Please don't tell me I have to go through all the folders by myself. 🙂

Thanks in advance!

Greetings,

Daniel

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 5 of 10

Re: Removing old product files on ePO server

Jump to solution
Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 8 of 10

Jump to solution

Any time you check in a product or extension from software manager, it downloads the file and stores it in that softwaremanager directory.  They can safely be deleted if it is taking up too much space. 

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Highlighted
Level 7
Message 2 of 10

Jump to solution

From Master Repository. I would guess you can mark down all the old versions of packages that have newer versions checked in to the same branch, and then execute action once for all of them.

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Thanks for your reply!

Well, in master repository are only 10.7 versions of ENS, exept for the "Exploit Prevention Content"-DAT which is in 10.6.

So to me the master repository doesn't seem to be the right place for this.

Thanks anyway!

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 10

Jump to solution

You can either delete unwanted software package from master repository (Menu->Software->Master repository->select the package and delete it.

or else you can delete Software folder and rebuild master repository.

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB82581

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 5 of 10

Jump to solution
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Thanks, hem!

I guess this KB shows the only way to do what I intended. But what about raising a feature request for a cleanup task? To me it seems quite weird that this hasn't been implemented yet, looking at the amount of diskspace needed for all the old software packages.

Anyway. Thanks for the help! I'm going to test this now.

Jump to solution

Just missed that point:

Your solution was about the "DB\Software" directory, not the "DB\SoftwareManager". This isn't a bad thing to know, nevertheless it doesn't fit the issue.

I did a research for the last hour to find out which files exactly are pushed into "DB\SoftwareManager". Nonetheless I'm as stupid as I was before. There is simply no information to find. I'm not that pleased trying out to delete and recreate that folder in our customer's productive environment. And on our testing machine there's just too few content in that folder. I tested it anyway, but gained no knowledge by doing so.

So, please, give me a good hint on what kind of files the ePO puts there and how important they are for whatever process. Maybe that makes me knowing how to deal with the issue of having such a folder already grown to more than 19GB.

Thanks in advance!

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 8 of 10

Jump to solution

Any time you check in a product or extension from software manager, it downloads the file and stores it in that softwaremanager directory.  They can safely be deleted if it is taking up too much space. 

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Thanks cdinet!

I just tested checking in new products (ePO 5.10). They are indeed downloaded into the SoftwareManager directory at first (zip files in folders named with four digits) and then pushed into the Software directory. Afterwards the files in the folders in SoftwareManager are deleted automatically which leaves empty folders.

In ePO 5.9.1 it seems as if the files in the folders within the SoftwareManager directory are not getting deleted autically though. So maybe with ePO 5.10 the issue of growing SoftwareManager directories is solved anyway.

Nevertheless, thanks!

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 10 of 10

Jump to solution

Glad to assist!

Was my reply helpful?

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community