I've thought about doing that, but am apprehensive in doing so because what if I can't re-install the prior extension after trying to install the most current extension?
I would be careful about doing that as well. Some applications really don't like their extensions pulled out from under them. Since it wouldn't be an update anymore there could be other issues that go along with it as well. Depending on your setup you could take a backup of your server and database before doing it and perform a restore if there are issues.
I would say to wait for the next extension update to hopefully solve the problem. Have you heard anything from support?
I have not. I've had a ticket open with them for almost three weeks now. Had a remote session with a McAfee technician for almost 2 hours and nothing got solved. Now, they are escalating the issue to T3...