cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RSD 4.7.1 + Wifi = Not supported?

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

I suppose this might be a bit of a dumb question but:

Are RSD agents not supported on systems with Wifi interfaces? -Or in other words: Can RSD not detect systems in a wireless network? -I ask becasue I am being told this by tech support.

Here's the situation: I acquired an old decommissioned laptop and had a fresh copy of our corporate Windows 7 image applied to it. I wanted to use the laptop as a dedicated RSD sensor for one of our wireless segments so I deployed McAfee Agent and subsequently deployed an RSD 4.7.1 agent.

The RSD agent never shows up in RSD's list of covered subnets and I don't see any detections from the laptop. With that in mind, I opened an SR with McAfee tech support who quickly found an error message in my RSD agent log:

"Found a non-ethernet MAC address bound to IP address (XX.YY.ZZ.XX) The rogue system sensor does not support non-ethernet hardware.... skipping"

The tech support agent then told me that RSD doesn't support Wifi interfaces.

Has anyone experienced the same?

Is this perhaps just a matter of the particular Wifi interface I'm using? (Intel WiFi Link 5100 AGN)

Message was edited by: mvm_101 on 7/16/14 2:16:30 PM CDT
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 4

Re: RSD 4.7.1 + Wifi = Not supported?

Jump to solution

Hi...

This is correct - RSD uses the WinPcap library to catch traffic, and this doesn't support wireless adapters. (Please see http://www.winpcap.org/misc/faq.htm#Q-16  for a good description.)

HTH -

Joe

3 Replies
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 4

Jump to solution

Hi...

This is correct - RSD uses the WinPcap library to catch traffic, and this doesn't support wireless adapters. (Please see http://www.winpcap.org/misc/faq.htm#Q-16  for a good description.)

HTH -

Joe

Jump to solution

Hm,

And yet a tool like Wireshark is able to capture "something" off the wireless. Even if those are "emulated frames" as discussed in the winpcap FAQ then I'd argue that'd be good enough to detect systems

Message was edited by: mvm_101 on 7/16/14 2:27:47 PM CDT
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 4

Jump to solution

That's entirely possible, but unfortunately this isn't a function that RSD offers in its current form. By all means submit a PER if this is a feature you'd like to see implemented.

Regards -

Joe