cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quick System Search

Does anyone else out there find the "quick system search" to be anything but quick?  I know that it searches "systems by system name, IP address, MAC address, user name, or Agent GUID"  and I also believe it looks at the description field.  We've ended up relying on queries by machine name which are MUCH faster.  I'm not sure if this is only because we have over 100,000 nodes or not but I've previously entered an FMR for the ability to choose exactly what attributes are searched and never heard anything back...I've just recently run into a request for users to be able to look up machines and look at them without many other rights.  I've done that through the use of the 'executive reviewer' permission set but the "quick" search performance leaves much to be desired...

Andrew

on 9/30/10 3:30:20 PM GMT-05:00
4 Replies
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 5

Re: Quick System Search

It's not querying the description field, as far as I can tell, but it is looking at the following:

Computer name

IP address

MAC address

User name

Agent GUID

Tag name

The tag part of the search is a nested query which can take a while... forgive the question but do you do regular maintenance on the DB, in particular reindexing? That can have a spectacular effect on the speed of some queries.

Regards -

Joe

Yeah we reindex twice per week because of some of the other performance issues we have.

Andrew

Just did a test search for my machine name:

via query (using 'contains') < 2 seconds

via quick search ~ 24 seconds

Andrew

McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 5 of 5

You have PM