cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions on Software Manager and Master Repository

I am hoping for a little guidance with regard to McAfee Software Manager and Master Repository. I have quite a few products showing Updates Available in Software Manager, as well as new versions of products that need to be introduced (ePO 5.1, etc.) and I am not sure of the best method to do so. If anyone could provide some explanation or point me toward some helpful resources and KB articles, I would appreciate it. Some items I have noted:

• Fairly regularly, our Download Software Product List server task fails. It works occasionally, but when it fails, I see messages along the lines of: 3/19/14 1:04:01 AM  Completed: Download Software Product List (Failed to download the products list due to "Failed to connect to the Software Catalog server.") 

• In Software Manager, if I find a Component that has an available version showing and I click on Update, choosing to move the older version to the Previous Branch, when I get the update done and come back, I still have an Update Available—it is just in Previous Branch now, and if I Update it there, I no longer have an older version, but rather two copies of the new version (one in Current, one in Previous)

• What is the best way to progress through software? Should I update in Software Manager or Check-In there? Or, should I just be in Master Repository doing Pulls there and Check-In Package there, pointing to any location where I have downloaded a file from our download portal? How do the Master Repo and Software Manager relate to each other? It seems like some new software does not show up when I want it to and I don’t know in what order I should do things. Is there a step by step to working with these two?

• Earlier today, I was in Software Manager, looking at VSE for Linux. I figured this would be a good place to work a bit, since we don’t have this product deployed yet. While in the screen for this product, I clicked on Update All. My ePO window hung, and CPU on the server hit 100% and stayed there. I waited quite a while to see if it would quit, but it never did.  I ended up restarting services to get it to come back.

• A little while later, I Updated HIPS in Software Manager, another product that we don’t have deployed widely. After updating it to Current, I realized that I should have placed it in Evaluation. I went into Master Repository and moved a package to Eval. Unfortunately, I mistakenly moved the older version, which I wanted to move back to Current. I then tried moving the newer version to Eval, after which I figured I would move the older one back to Current. However, once it was done, I found that the older version was completely gone. It seems that if one version is written to a branch where another version is, they can’t co-exist? I didn’t get any kind of prompt or anything. It was just gone. Since I had no other version to work with, I just moved the newer version back to Current.

• Lastly, the Update Master Repository server task is failing when I try to run it. This seems to have started after things I did earlier. I am not sure if it is related to the service stop/start, whatever locked the server up, or my HIPs package manipulation, but whenever I try to run it, I get the errors listed below. In looking at the community, I have seen that several people have run into this, but I have found no definitive answer why, or a way to resolve it. Some people mentioning clearing temp, some people say a backup was running, but none of it seems to be concrete. Any ideas as to what this is? The server task was working fine until recently, and I have tried switching to McAfeeFTP but it fails immediately.

McAfeeHttp 3/26/14 3:53:13 PM INFO Downloading package

Current\VSCANDAT1000\7389.000

0\DAT\0000

McAfeeHttp 3/26/14 3:53:46 PM ERROR Failed to validate repository

McAfeeHttp. File

C:\Windows\TEMP\naiA666.tmp\00

000002\avvdat.ini found hash

81537632D1A016C7452A8FEC95B

85DA9C7752421, expected hash

09356834BC60A2F4C1C46679621

DC7AB042C3D63

I know it is a ton of information, but I want to provide as much detail as I can. If anyone can even help me with a little of it, I would appreciate it immensely, even a point in the right direction. Thanks so much.

More McAfee Tools to Help You

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community