Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CBoe
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 9

Question about Evaluation Branch in Master Repository

Hi,

I just checked in the VSE 8.8 package into our Master Repository in ePO 4.5.  It was recommended that I checked it in to the Evaluation branch and not the current branch until I'm ready to roll it out to everyone.  Can someone explain to my what the real difference is between Evaluation and Current?  I haven't been able to really find anything that explains the differences.  When I set it to Current, will that really change much?  I'm fairly new to using ePO so I'm still trying to learn more about it.

Thanks!

8 Replies
bakerrl
Level 11
Message 2 of 9

Re: Question about Evaluation Branch in Master Repository

CBoe
Level 7
Message 3 of 9

Thank you for the reply.  I did read that information and it helps a little.  I'm still just a little confused as to what the evaluation branch does not do that the current branch does.  If I were to check the VSE 8.8 in as the current branch and only push it out to a few systems, how would that be any different?  Does the evaluation branch not allow for updates or something?

bakerrl
Level 11
Message 4 of 9

No difference really other than the fact that if you put the product in the Current Branch you could inadvertenlty deploy to all your machines before you wanted.  Some companies have a Test Group of machines and they use the Eval Branch for testing of dats and deploying of products in a more controlled manner.

Someone else my have a better answer.

CBoe
Level 7
Message 5 of 9

So the Evaluation Branch doesn't allow it to go out to everyone?

It is more of an organizational distinction than a functional distinction.  I'm pretty sure products and updates can be deployed from any branch to any system.  Deployment tasks set which branch to deploy from, and Agent policies set which branch to update from.  Doing your testing of new versions, etc., from the evaluation branch makes it easier to keep your testing environment separate from your production environment.

CBoe
Level 7
Message 7 of 9

Thanks for the help.  This does make a little more sense now.

Actually I left out one item, so I'll give a little more detail.

Product Deployment tasks (under McAfee Agent in the Client Task Catalog) determine which repository branch the product is initially deployed (installed) from.

Product Update tasks (under McAfee Agent in the Client Task Catalog) determine which "parts" (DATs, Patches, etc.) of a product are updated after the product is installed.

The McAfee Agent Policies (in the Policy Catalog, choose Product: McAfee Agent, Category: General, click on a policy, go to the Updates tab) determine which repository branch the "parts" of a product are updated from.

This means that in order to completely specify what gets updated and which repository branch it gets updated from, you need both a McAfee Agent Product Update task and an McAfee Agent Policy assigned to (a) system(s).

Hope I didn't make it more confusing.

CBoe
Level 7
Message 9 of 9

Yeah, that does help a bit.  I'm starting to make more sense of this now.

More McAfee Tools to Help You

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community