cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Push out software to remote locations

Jump to solution

Our company is currnelty running ePO 4.0 agent 4.0 and antivirus 8.5 / 8.7. We are currently looking into going to ePO 4.5 agent 4.5 and TOPS pacakge 8.7 / hips / spyware. All of our sites are connected with T-1's so sometimes it can get kinda slow pushing out updates to people. Is there a way to throttle the software push out to the users?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Push out software to remote locations

Jump to solution

To fascilitate updates to remote sites over slower pipes as there is no BITS-like mechanism in ePO; I disabled global updating and set up an update task to kick off at a specific time local to the machine and used the randomization value within the task to spread out when machines would kick off the task.

This solution gives two levels of throttling: timezone and randomization.

NOTE:  This is with ePO 3.6.1, hopefully you can extrapolate to ePO 4.0 easily.

Regards,

Mark

7 Replies
GWIRT
Level 12
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 8

Jump to solution

Your best bet is to create distributed repositories on the other end of these T1's, then in the Agent policy, have those machines only update from those repositories.

Jump to solution

out of 13 locations we have repositories at 5 locations. So, do i have any other options?

GWIRT
Level 12
Message 4 of 8

Jump to solution

I would try to put repositories at the other 8 locations. I would also increase the ASCI to at least a few hours to decrease bandwidth.

Jump to solution

putting more repositories is not an option of mine.

"I would also increase the ASCI to at least a few hours to decrease bandwidth" - where is this option?

Highlighted
GWIRT
Level 12
Message 6 of 8

Jump to solution

ASCI (Agent-to-Server Communication Interval) is set within the McAfee Agent Policy. You can just keep increasing it until you find the right setting for you.

Jump to solution

To fascilitate updates to remote sites over slower pipes as there is no BITS-like mechanism in ePO; I disabled global updating and set up an update task to kick off at a specific time local to the machine and used the randomization value within the task to spread out when machines would kick off the task.

This solution gives two levels of throttling: timezone and randomization.

NOTE:  This is with ePO 3.6.1, hopefully you can extrapolate to ePO 4.0 easily.

Regards,

Mark

Jump to solution

Its been awhile, sorry for the delay. I did what you said and i will see how it works out. As of right now i have a very small test group and it should not mess with bandwidth. However, I will have to look into doing the same thing with all of my tasks. The guy i work with though thinks that you can make it work with a select number of computers at a time. Any idea what he may be talking about. Push out updates to 4 machines, when done push out to another 4 machines and so on.

Thanks!

More McAfee Tools to Help You

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community