Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reliable Contributor haaris
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 8

Pull task getting Failed

Hi,

From last 1 day we are trying to run the server task to pull the DAT & Amcore content but the server is getting failed immediately after running.When checked the logs its showing another pull task is already waiting for task to complete but we checked and didnt found any other task running or in progress or waiting state.Didnt understand what actually the error is.The EPO version is 5.9.1

Finally restarted the EPO services and now the task ran successfully.

Below are the logs extracted from Server orion logs

2018-12-30 06:15:39,593 ERROR [scheduler-TaskQueueEngine-thread-14] service.ScheduledTaskManagerImpl  - execution of task Pull DAT updates from McAfee FTP failed
com.mcafee.orion.core.cmd.CommandException: Command aborted, another pull command is already waiting for other tasks to complete
    at com.mcafee.epo.repositorymgmt.commands.PullCmd.invoke(PullCmd.java:436)
    at com.mcafee.orion.core.cmd.CommandInvoker.invoke(CommandInvoker.java:1274)
    at com.mcafee.orion.core.cmd.CommandInvoker.invokeCommand(CommandInvoker.java:999)
    at com.mcafee.orion.core.cmd.CommandInvoker.invoke(CommandInvoker.java:968)
    at com.mcafee.orion.core.cmd.CommandInvoker.invoke(CommandInvoker.java:945)
    at com.mcafee.orion.scheduler.chainable.Chain.invokeChain(Chain.java:437)
    at com.mcafee.orion.scheduler.chainable.Chain.invokeChain(Chain.java:474)
    at com.mcafee.orion.scheduler.chainable.Chain.invokeChain(Chain.java:383)
    at com.mcafee.orion.scheduler.chainable.Chain.invoke(Chain.java:64)
    at com.mcafee.orion.core.cmd.CommandInvoker.invoke(CommandInvoker.java:1274)
    at com.mcafee.orion.scheduler.service.ScheduledTaskManagerImpl.runTask(ScheduledTaskManagerImpl.java:1577)
    at com.mcafee.orion.scheduler.service.ScheduledTaskManagerImpl.runValidatedTaskInvocation(ScheduledTaskManagerImpl.java:1548)
    at com.mcafee.orion.scheduler.service.ScheduledTaskManagerImpl.runValidatedTaskInvocation(ScheduledTaskManagerImpl.java:1502)
    at com.mcafee.orion.scheduler.service.ScheduledTaskManagerImpl.execute(ScheduledTaskManagerImpl.java:1313)
    at com.mcafee.orion.task.queue.TaskQueueEngine.runTask(TaskQueueEngine.java:912)
    at com.mcafee.orion.task.queue.TaskQueueEngine.runTask(TaskQueueEngine.java:894)
    at com.mcafee.orion.task.queue.TaskQueueEngine.access$1000(TaskQueueEngine.java:49)
    at com.mcafee.orion.task.queue.TaskQueueEngine$3.run(TaskQueueEngine.java:863)
    at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:511)
    at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:266)
    at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149)
    at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)

Has anyone faced the same issue?Is this is the only solution fro this issue or anything else we can do?

What could be the root cause of the issue

7 Replies
McAfee Employee Hawkmoon
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 8

Re: Pull task getting Failed

Morning haaris,

This might be dB related!

Run through this article to ensure this piece is ok: KB83384
If it is then move on the below.

In the dB (table) an entry maybe showing as 'active' or 'locked' so as per ePO design it'll not run another operation until the other finished, which will not happen as the entry is no longer associated with an active task.

As is good practice, make a full back up of ePO and dB, before you go any further.

Do stop any active tasks you have first as they will have a legitimate reason to be running, we do not want to interact with them.

Run this query against the ePO dB:

• select * from oriontaskqueuemt where state = '3'

You are ONLY interested in any returns that are PULL or REPLICATION related.

If you get a returns that is either a pull or replication note its ID numbers and delete the row(s):

• delete from oriontaskqueuemt where id = 'x'

Where 'x' is the ID number you noted previously.

If you get no returns for the above, run this query:

• select * from eporepository where locktype != '0'

If you get anything other than a '0' (zero) that needs to be updated to '0' (zero).

As you have a back up of everything should something go bad, simply restore to its previous state!

Was my reply helpful?

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Reliable Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Hi @Hawkmoon,

KB83384 is not applicable to McAfee EPO 5.9.1

When I checked there is no task running at that time on EPO server still pull task is getting failed.Instead of running DB queries what if I just restart EPO services as I did last time since its better to do than running queries.What do you think?

McAfee Employee Hawkmoon
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 8

Happy new year harris, all,

You can do, if that helps!
No loss to you if it gets' it going as needed, so why not!

I'd ask that you do the last query it will only 'report', I'm interested to see if it is a 'lock' state or not.

Was my reply helpful?

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Reliable Contributor
Message 5 of 8

Hi @Hawkmoon,

Since the issue is resolved after restarting the services I cant use that query until and unless I face the issue again.

But in future if we face the issue again should we change the value to zero for all non-zero values for the third query

McAfee Employee Hawkmoon
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 8

Morning!

If there is no other task confirmed not running.

That last query is looking as it names indicates a 'lock state', a condition that has every reason to be active, so if you confirm there is no other task running, yes you can.

However if it does appear again it will be worth trying to work out when the tasks run and 'collide' with each other to present this situation in the first place.

Consider for example:
We release a DAT/Amcore update once a day, so run a PULL every hour for example is a large overhead for no gain. (it'll complete 1 in 24 occasions.)
Likewise to run a rep task every couple of hours adds overhead etc. (will also complete/do something once in a day)

To have such configuration does offer the chance (high possibility) to have them 'collide with each other, and potentially have a active and legitimate lock active when the next task runs and fails, and correctly so, whilst the other task is working!

Better to have (for example) two pulls a day and likewise two replications!

Why the second?
Emergency DAT/Amcore release! A just in case scenario! Robot wink

Was my reply helpful?

Reliable Contributor
Message 7 of 8

Hi @Hawkmoon,

We run the DAT/Amcore content pull task manually every day once its released

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 8 of 8

Yes, that KB is applicable also to 5.9.1 - we have seen it occur.  You might also want to check kb84114.

Was my reply helpful?

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • Visit: Business Service Portal
  • More: Search Knowledge Articles
  • ePolicy Orchestrator Support

• Download the new ePolicy Orchestrator (ePO) Support Center Extension which simplifies ePO management and provides support resources directly in the console. Learn more about ePO Support Center