Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 8

Product vs Task Type vs Task Name it's all Greek to me!

Jump to solution

can someone please help me understand why for instance I don't see Host Intrusion Prevention 8.8.0 in the Product pane in the Run Client Task Now window I have to select McAfee Agent in the pane then Product Deployment in the Task Type middle pane and then I see it under Task Name

Now I could almost live with that if I didn't see VirusScan Enterprise 8.8.0 in that Product window pane on the left

Do you see my confusion?  Please explain it to me as if I was three years old, ha ha

where is Host Intrusion Prevention ?where is Host Intrusion Prevention ?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 5 of 8

Re: Product vs Task Type vs Task Name it's all Greek to me!

Jump to solution

Hello @gregski.

@jsubbura may not be the HIPs Expert, however, he gave you proper explanation about why HIPs is not listed there.

There you have 3 sections:

01. Product
02. Task type
03. Task name

where first 2 are pre-configured and you don't have control over it, they come with point product extension, and 3rd one is something you actually can create.

In Product you have listed all point products that can do something, like MA can perform deployment, update, wake up etc, or Endpoint Security Common can unlock interface, or VSE can perform On Demand Scan etc.

If point product can't do any task and everything is governed by only policies, point product will not be listed there and because HIPs only has policies and doesn't have capabilities to execute any task, HIPs is not there.

In second, Task type, section you have listed all things, aka tasks, that the product selected can do, and again MA can perform deployment, update, wake up etc, or Endpoint Security Common can unlock interface, or VSE can perform On Demand Scan etc.

In third section are actually tasks that you are creating and some of them can have multiple capabilities like MA is point product that can do something like deployment and you actually create task to tell MA what to deploy where you will not use task created to deploy ENS if you want to deploy VSE. Yes, they are both same type, but they are not deploying same item.

Also some of listed point products/modules, you may create multiple tasks with different names, but there is no point of that, like for "Endpoint Security Common", you have only one task type which is "Unlock Client Interface" which can do only one task and that is to unlock client so there is no point creating multiple different tasks with different name to do only one thing.

Please note that all tasks you may create in "Menu -> Client Tasks -> Client Task Catalog", where you may select product, HIPS will not be there either, under product you may select task type and create, configure and name the task of that type that will later show in selection you mentioned above.

I hope, I am explaining myself properly.

Now, on humorous side and requested explanation for three years old, :D:D:D, you may look at it this way.

Hypothetically, imagine you have 4 different kids where:

01. This kid knows Math, Physics and couple other subjects
02. This kid knows lot about Motorsport.
03. This kid knows to play one and only one song "Queen - A Kind of Magic"
04. This kid doesn't do anything, he is a thinker.

Based on its capabilities and design, kid 04. is not on the list at all, because you can't give him any task to do, aka HIPs.

Kid 01. is skillful in lot of different areas hence you may give him lot of different tasks from same or different type. You may give him problem from algebra, or differential equation, or simple addition, they are all different, but they are all same type, aka Math, like MA and its deployment tasks.

Similar to this, you may give to this 01. kid to calculate gravity pull, acceleration, mass etc, all different tasks, but same type, aka Physics, just like MA is capable to perform update tasks, but for different point products.

Kid 02. is kinda like VSE and its On Demand Tasks, he is good in writing stuff about Motorsport, but with limited variations. Kid 02. can write about racing or can write about racing and cars, or can write about cars and their tires. Technically assignments are different hence different tasks are needed, but all have same flavor, Motorsport, just like VSE ODS tasks are all ODS, but in one task you may tell VSE to scan memory only, with other task you may say to scan memory, running process and HDDs, with 3rd one only HDDs and nothing else, etc.

As you may guess, kid 03. represents "Endpoint Security Common" and "Unlock Client Interface" task type. You may organize as many concerts for this kid and you may call those concerts how ever you like, but the kid will play one and one song only, "Queen - A Kind of Magic".

I hope this helps.

Was my reply helpful?

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 8

Jump to solution

I don't understand why Host Intrusion Prevention is under the Product McAfee Agent it seems like that would be a different product

why is HIPS a product of McAfee Agent ?why is HIPS a product of McAfee Agent ?

Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Jump to solution

.. but then VirusScam Enterprise is a Product? this makes no sense, please help

yet VirusScan Enterprise is a Product?yet VirusScan Enterprise is a Product?

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 8

Jump to solution

Hi @gregski ,

Thank you for writing in here. 

This is a page for Run Client Task now. ENS, VSE has tasks in them like On demand tasks,etc however HIPS may not have any specific tasks like VSE or ENS has. 

And that is why HIPS is not listed in here. 

PS: I am not not an expert in HIPS 🙂

Thank you.

Regards,
Jithendran S
McAfee Employee
Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 5 of 8

Jump to solution

Hello @gregski.

@jsubbura may not be the HIPs Expert, however, he gave you proper explanation about why HIPs is not listed there.

There you have 3 sections:

01. Product
02. Task type
03. Task name

where first 2 are pre-configured and you don't have control over it, they come with point product extension, and 3rd one is something you actually can create.

In Product you have listed all point products that can do something, like MA can perform deployment, update, wake up etc, or Endpoint Security Common can unlock interface, or VSE can perform On Demand Scan etc.

If point product can't do any task and everything is governed by only policies, point product will not be listed there and because HIPs only has policies and doesn't have capabilities to execute any task, HIPs is not there.

In second, Task type, section you have listed all things, aka tasks, that the product selected can do, and again MA can perform deployment, update, wake up etc, or Endpoint Security Common can unlock interface, or VSE can perform On Demand Scan etc.

In third section are actually tasks that you are creating and some of them can have multiple capabilities like MA is point product that can do something like deployment and you actually create task to tell MA what to deploy where you will not use task created to deploy ENS if you want to deploy VSE. Yes, they are both same type, but they are not deploying same item.

Also some of listed point products/modules, you may create multiple tasks with different names, but there is no point of that, like for "Endpoint Security Common", you have only one task type which is "Unlock Client Interface" which can do only one task and that is to unlock client so there is no point creating multiple different tasks with different name to do only one thing.

Please note that all tasks you may create in "Menu -> Client Tasks -> Client Task Catalog", where you may select product, HIPS will not be there either, under product you may select task type and create, configure and name the task of that type that will later show in selection you mentioned above.

I hope, I am explaining myself properly.

Now, on humorous side and requested explanation for three years old, :D:D:D, you may look at it this way.

Hypothetically, imagine you have 4 different kids where:

01. This kid knows Math, Physics and couple other subjects
02. This kid knows lot about Motorsport.
03. This kid knows to play one and only one song "Queen - A Kind of Magic"
04. This kid doesn't do anything, he is a thinker.

Based on its capabilities and design, kid 04. is not on the list at all, because you can't give him any task to do, aka HIPs.

Kid 01. is skillful in lot of different areas hence you may give him lot of different tasks from same or different type. You may give him problem from algebra, or differential equation, or simple addition, they are all different, but they are all same type, aka Math, like MA and its deployment tasks.

Similar to this, you may give to this 01. kid to calculate gravity pull, acceleration, mass etc, all different tasks, but same type, aka Physics, just like MA is capable to perform update tasks, but for different point products.

Kid 02. is kinda like VSE and its On Demand Tasks, he is good in writing stuff about Motorsport, but with limited variations. Kid 02. can write about racing or can write about racing and cars, or can write about cars and their tires. Technically assignments are different hence different tasks are needed, but all have same flavor, Motorsport, just like VSE ODS tasks are all ODS, but in one task you may tell VSE to scan memory only, with other task you may say to scan memory, running process and HDDs, with 3rd one only HDDs and nothing else, etc.

As you may guess, kid 03. represents "Endpoint Security Common" and "Unlock Client Interface" task type. You may organize as many concerts for this kid and you may call those concerts how ever you like, but the kid will play one and one song only, "Queen - A Kind of Magic".

I hope this helps.

Was my reply helpful?

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 8

Jump to solution

"There you have 3 sections:

01. Product
02. Task type
03. Task name

where first 2 are pre-configured and you don't have control over it, they come with point product extension, and 3rd one is something you actually can create."

Thank you so much, this alone was worth the price of admission as I was killing myself trying to figure out how to get HIPS to be part of the cool crowd in that first pane!

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 7 of 8

Jump to solution

Hi @gregski ,

You are welcome 🙂 and @Kenchee_etf  thank you for the detailed explanation!

Regards,
Jithendran S
McAfee Employee
Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 8 of 8

Jump to solution

luv the Kid analogy and just so that I am getting this Kid 3's twin brother is essentially Endpoint Security Firewall? knows a little about a little

likewise if Kid 2 had a twin it would be in charge of Endpoint Security Threat Protection.  Knows a lot about a little

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community