Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mrpg
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 8

Product showing on policy tab that isn't installed on client

Ladies, Gents,

I've install 3.6.1 and now familiarizing myself with the product. I've noticed something that doesn't seem to be right, it isn't causing any issues but wondering if I may be doing something wrong checking in NAPs

When you select a client, the Policies tab shows products installed on the client. If the product isn't install, it should not show up (unless of course you check "show all products". At least that is how I understand it to work.

Since I've checked in VSE 8.5 and 8.7, they seem to show up no matter what. However 8.0 only shows up if the client selected has VSE 8.0 installed.

Here is what I see when I select a client that has VSE 8.5 or 8.7 install, see no 8.0 listed;

Here is a client with 8.0 installed, note 8.0 is listed but so are 8.5 and 8.7;

Is this behavior normal? I mean it doesnt' seem to cause any issues but at this point I want to be sure.

Thanks
7 Replies
Highlighted
bxs
Level 7
Message 2 of 8

RE: Product showing on policy tab that isn't installed on client

This is normal.

For example, you can't change the VSE 8.5 policy on a machine that has VSE 8.0 installed. So instead of giving you a false sense of ability, McAfee simply doesn't display the product at all. A UI design decision that makes some sense (perhaps the only one for ePo 3.6? ha).
mrpg
Level 7
Message 3 of 8

That was my thought, so to be clear, it should only show policies for the version of VSE installed correct?

In my case its showing policies for VSE 8.5 and 8.7 regardless of what the client has installed. The only policies that seems to work as expected is for V SE 8.0. They key part being that it does now show up in the list if 8.0 is not installed where as the polices for 8.5 and 8.7 do.

Hope I'm explaining things ok.

Are the screenshots definitely from clients and not sites or groups ?

Jim
mrpg
Level 7
Message 5 of 8

Yes, that's what I get when I select clients.

Interesting - hadn't noticed that before but I also see that odd behaviour on our ePO 3.6 system :confused:

Jim
mrpg
Level 7
Message 7 of 8

Ok, makes me feel better. It doesn't seem as if any thing is really broken.
Maybe its time to investigate going to 4.0
tonyb99
Level 13
Message 8 of 8

I think it makes sense if you consider upgradeing the VSE...

you have set policy for VSE 8.0 but what policy does it get if it updates to VSE 8.5?

the way its set if it updated it would get the policy shown on the other tab
More McAfee Tools to Help You

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community