Did you mean: 
Highlighted
PhilR
Level 12
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 9

Problem upgrading to ePO 5.10

Hi folks,

Upgrading an ePO 5.9.1 server (which had been migrated from 4.x a long time back) to ePO 5.10 failed when trying to upgrade the ldapsync extension.

The error was when running ldapsync's upgrade_5_9_1_0.sql

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
-- Change DF Constraint to use GETUTCDATE() instead of GETDATE()
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
IF EXISTS (SELECT * FROM sys.default_constraints WHERE object_id = OBJECT_ID(N'dbo.DF_OrionLdapAttributes_Timestamp') AND parent_object_id = OBJECT_ID(N'dbo.OrionLdapAttributes'))
BEGIN
  ALTER TABLE dbo.OrionLdapAttributes  DROP CONSTRAINT DF_OrionLdapAttributes_Timestamp;
END
GO
ALTER TABLE dbo.OrionLdapAttributes ADD  CONSTRAINT DF_OrionLdapAttributes_Timestamp  DEFAULT (GETUTCDATE()) FOR Timestamp;
GO

the constraint on dbo.OrionLdapAttributes was named DF__something with a hex string at the end, so the drop didn't happen, and the ldapsync extension upgrade failed with a duplicate default constraint.

Renamed the constraint to DF_OrionLdapAttributes_Timestamp and the extension and ePO upgraded properly.

Cheers,

Phil

8 Replies
PhilR
Level 12
Message 2 of 9

Re: Problem upgrading to ePO 5.10

McAfee needs to adopt the ideas from this post to delete the default constraint from dbo.OrionLdapAttributes rather than looking for a specific constraint name:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/1430456/how-to-drop-sql-default-constraint-without-knowing-its-n...

Cheers,

Phil
McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 3 of 9

We are looking into that.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

PhilR
Level 12
Message 4 of 9

Thanks

Hi Team,

I'm planning to upgrade McAfee ePO to 5.10 . Current version is 5.9

Is there any KB article or link which has detailed steps to follow as part of upgrade process.

Can you please help me with the article and link to donwload the latest patches .

Thanks 

McAfee Employee Hawkmoon
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 9

Hi Pruthvi

Some helpful information can be found here:
(Please note of the 'Pre-Installation Auditor enhancement' comment) Smiley Happy

ePolicy Orchestrator 5.10 Release Notes
Product Documentation ID:   PD27627

More details and additional information about upgrades and migration can be found in this document:

ePolicy Orchestrator 5.10 Installation Guide
Product Documentation ID:   PD27628

FYI:
ePolicy Orchestrator 5.10.x Known Issues
Technical Articles ID:   KB90382

Additional info.
Supported platforms, environments, and operating systems for ePolicy Orchestrator
Technical Articles ID:   KB51569

As with any upgrade/migration/major system change please ensure you have a valid backup and/or snapshot to use should you have a need to restore the server.

ePolicy Orchestrator server backup and disaster recovery procedure
Technical Articles ID:   KB66616

Was my reply helpful?

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 7 of 9

Definitely go through KB71825 also.  That is the upgrade checklist and it includes everything and more that the pre installation auditor tool checks.

Was my reply helpful?

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 8 of 9

We actually don't want to be doing that.  We control our schema and should know the specific names of every object.  The question is, how did your constraint get named with a hex string at the end.  My test servers do not have that, so I don't think that is a default or normal configuration.  

Was my reply helpful?

The server(s) (seen it on two ePO servers) started off as ePO 4.x boxes, migrated using the migration wizard from ePO 4.6.9 (if I recall correctly) to 5.3.x on new boxes.

SQL databases were probably dumped and restored to SQL 2012 servers, but I wsasn't involved in that part of it.

As there can only be one default restraint, the generic approach would be fine. I prefer resilient, foolproof coding myself.

Anyhow, I've put the workaround on here for anyone else who has the problem.

Cheers,

Phil