Did you mean: 
Highlighted
tubez
Level 8
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 7

Previously Scheduled Client Task Assignments Running

Jump to solution

We ran into a situation where newly checked in products were being deployed when we didn't expect them to.  I checked in the newest Agent, DLP and Endpoint and then changed the assigned client tasks to use the new versions.

The schedule is set to this, which I would think should only run the task on the previous date shown.  We typically will check in the new version and then go schedule it to deploy when we're ready.  Instead, we had machines updating in the middle of the day and prompting for reboots.

2018-11-30_8-01-34.png

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
McAfee Employee Hawkmoon
McAfee Employee
Message 5 of 7

Re: Previously Scheduled Client Task Assignments Running

Jump to solution

Smiley LOL I see! Man Wink

Well I checked your screen shot again, sorry the 'past' date didn't register in my head as its should have sorry for that ... its using a past date which means devices will run it, like 'a missed task'.

You can set dates in this way but you must ensure to set 'disabled' in the task creation process (first screen) to have the task not run until you are ready to do, then simply edit it and set 'enabled'.

Was my reply helpful?

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

6 Replies
McAfee Employee Hawkmoon
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 7

Jump to solution

Hi tubez,

I suspect what you actually had happen is the users performing an 'update now' (one click update) operation from desktop icon for MA.
They clients would call home and access (by default) the ePO servers 'current' repository location. Here they would have found Product 'abc' and so on, and updated, a scenario that is described in the following article:

How to prevent ePolicy Orchestrator 5.x from automatically updating to the latest posted Engine
Technical Articles ID: KB77901

The article refers to Engines, but the same is true for DATs as well as products!

You would really need to review the current policy set up in line with the logs from a client that has done this to see what actually happened.

Was my reply helpful?

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

tubez
Level 8
Message 3 of 7

Jump to solution

Every machine in our environment upgraded though, so I doubt it was due to users clicking the Update Now button.  I don't think most of them even know how to find that.  Would this occur during the normal scheduled client check-ins that occur every 60 minutes?

tubez
Level 8
Message 4 of 7

Jump to solution

Also - We have Global Updating disabled already.  So I'm not sure that's the issue we ran into.

McAfee Employee Hawkmoon
McAfee Employee
Message 5 of 7

Jump to solution

Smiley LOL I see! Man Wink

Well I checked your screen shot again, sorry the 'past' date didn't register in my head as its should have sorry for that ... its using a past date which means devices will run it, like 'a missed task'.

You can set dates in this way but you must ensure to set 'disabled' in the task creation process (first screen) to have the task not run until you are ready to do, then simply edit it and set 'enabled'.

Was my reply helpful?

tubez
Level 8
Message 6 of 7

Jump to solution

Thanks for the info, when I see Run Once on this date I guess it's silly of me to assume it will only run once on that date Smiley Happy

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 7 of 7

Jump to solution

Actually, when you have a task, such as run immediately or run once, if that task is modified in any way, such as new products checked in that would affect the task, etc, it will cause that task to run again as it resets it. 

Was my reply helpful?

Member Rewards
McAfee Community rewards active and helpful members just like you. Click here to take a look at the first community members who received a special reward and were recognized by McAfee leader, Aneel Jaeel, for their participation and trusted knowledge in the community.