cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prevent common programs from running files from the Temp folder help

Jump to solution

We have some users who want to run an application called Tempro, it installs fine however when you go to open it, you get an error saying you don't have permission to open the file. In the access protection log it has the following information;

Blocked by Access Protection rule           DOMAIN\USERNAME                C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE        C:\Program Files\TEMPRO6\TEMPRO6.exe          Common Standard ProtectionSmiley Tonguerevent common programs from running files from the Temp folder              Action blocked : Execute

I have checked the Common Standard Protection and explorer.exe is in the included list, i have tried adding tempro6.exe to the exclusion list but Mcafee still blocks it as i'm assuming it's explorer.exe trying to launch the file from a temp directory. I don't want to remove explorer.exe from the included list, is there another way around this problem?

Running;

EPO / Agent 4.6

VSE 8.8

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Prevent common programs from running files from the Temp folder help

Jump to solution

Any time you open an application by clicking on Start/Programs/<application> or by double-clicking on it, explorer.exe is what opens it.  In Windows, explorer.exe is your shell and it's what launches apps when you click on them.  McAfee is making a regular expression match on the path, which contains the string 'TEMP' (part of 'TEMPro6').  Yeah, it's kinda crappy coding on McAfee's part, but that's what you have to work with.

Here are my ideas for how to make this work:

-Change the Windows shell (yeah, right, good luck with that)

-Get McAfee to change their code (yeah, right, good luck with that)

-Remove explorer.exe from the excluded list (you might as well disable the entire list, as explorer.exe is going to be the #1 process launching files)

-Disable the rule

-Install the program to a different path

4 Replies

Jump to solution

Can't you install the program it to another directory? Most programs let you choose anywhere you want to put them.

Jump to solution

I can change the installation location from C:\Program Files\TEMPRO6 to something else but i don't think that's the problem. It must be trying to launch tempro6.exe using explorer.exe from a temp location but i don't know how i would change this or why it's doing it.

Jump to solution

Any time you open an application by clicking on Start/Programs/<application> or by double-clicking on it, explorer.exe is what opens it.  In Windows, explorer.exe is your shell and it's what launches apps when you click on them.  McAfee is making a regular expression match on the path, which contains the string 'TEMP' (part of 'TEMPro6').  Yeah, it's kinda crappy coding on McAfee's part, but that's what you have to work with.

Here are my ideas for how to make this work:

-Change the Windows shell (yeah, right, good luck with that)

-Get McAfee to change their code (yeah, right, good luck with that)

-Remove explorer.exe from the excluded list (you might as well disable the entire list, as explorer.exe is going to be the #1 process launching files)

-Disable the rule

-Install the program to a different path

Jump to solution

I changed the installation directory so it didn't have the word "TEMP" and it worked fine, thanks for your help clbarnett.