cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port 1434 UDP Problem installing EPO 5.1

Jump to solution

Hello,

I'm having trouble installing EPO5.1.

I first installed SQL2008 on our domain server (W2008R2).

After that I started the installation of EPO wich is stuck with the error: Setup is unable to access UDP port 1434 (translated to English)

In the Databaseserver filed there is a PC name wich is a clientPC in our office but I typed the servername manually, I also tried to type the IP adress of the server.

Can somebody help me further with this problem?

It's possibele to install it on the domainserver, right?

Do I have to create a database first?

It's a new installation, I never installed it before.

Regards Marcel

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SafeBoot
Level 21
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 23 of 24

Re: Port 1434 UDP Problem installing EPO 5.1

Jump to solution

If you move to EPO though, all those settings will be controlled through EPO. Not locally.

I think you need to contact your McAfee reseller and pay for a professional consultant to come in and discuss all your options with you. If you want to move to enterprise class software, you're going to get a lot of power and control over your machines, but you're going to have to raise your understanding of the technology and processes involved.

EPO manages environments of hundreds of thousands of nodes - it's very powerful, but it probably does a LOT more than you immediately need. You might find the extra functionality - reporting, alerting you if there's a problem, automation of tasks etc, valuable, you might not. That's why getting a consultant in to advise is time and effort well spent.

EPO is designed for people who are interacting with their environment constantly - watching for outbreaks, securing devices, monitoring to make sure everyone is fully protected etc. It's not so much a "set and forget" type experience - that's what the standalone and SAAS products are for.

23 Replies

Jump to solution

Hello,

Go to the SQL configuration manager and make sure that under the ePO instance (EPOSERVER or the one you have created) the Shared Memory, Named pipes and TCP/IP are enabled. Then check the port under TCP/IP under IP All and that is the port you should put when insserting the database details in the ePO installation

Best regards,

Jose Maria

Jump to solution

Hello,

I asume you installing the ddbb with the ePO wizard..

Best regards,

Jose Maria

Jump to solution

Thnx for your response Jose Maria

Unfortunatly I know very little about SQL server

I don't have an instance called EPOSERVER, I was asuming the EPO installation wizard will create it for me.

I really don't have an idea how to create the database by hand

I installed SQL2008Express from C:\Users\xxxxxx\Desktop\EPO510L2\Setup\sql2k8express

What do you mean by ddbb, database?

Regards,

Marcel

Jump to solution

I think I managed to make an instance but what do I have to do Further.

The setup of EPO is still stuck at the same momnet as before.

Regards,

Marcel

SafeBoot
Level 21
Message 6 of 24

Jump to solution

Usually you'd install ePO on a dedicated server - It would not usually be appropriate to install it on your AD server. Maybe you should seek some professional services from your McAfee reseller to get this set up correctly? It's really hard to move afterwards.

Depending on how big your environment is going to be, choices you make now are going to restrict you for the rest of your McAfee relationship. Getting it right now will solve a whole bunch of future pain.

Jump to solution

Thnx SafeBoot for your response.

In our office we have just 1 domainserver and 25 clients.

We don't have another server.

regards,

Marcel

SafeBoot
Level 21
Message 8 of 24

Jump to solution

You're probably better off getting EASI from your reseller then - that will automate the whole process for you.

Jump to solution

What's EASI ?

regards,

Marcel

SafeBoot
Level 21
Message 10 of 24

Jump to solution