Level 8
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 8

Please explain me about extension updates

I just get notification on new updates:

• endpoint security platform to 10.6.1.1224
  • endpoint security threat prevention to 10.6.1.1295
  • endpoint security web control to 10.6.1.1212

but if I look at my systems, they have already newer version of theses extensions installed, please look at this screen:

Clipboard02.jpg

So how it is possible that I have never extensions already installed?

2.My second question if I get new software updates, do I need update "Full Install Package" (first on attached photo) or should I update extension only?

Clipboard01.jpg

thanks.

7 Replies
McAfee Employee AdithyanT
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 8

Re: Please explain me about extension updates

Hi @zuku 

Thank you for your post.

From the first screenshot, I see that you are pointing to the product versions. This is the client version installed on the specific endpoints. Extensions are installed to your ePO (management Server) and the client packages are installed on the respective endpoints.

Extensions are updated by us as and when we release newer versions of client packages.

Extensions are mandatory for the ePO Server to manage the respective client component module. For example, without Endpoint Security Threat Prevention extension in ePO you will not be able to manage Endpoint Security Threat Prevention at all on your endpoints. The policies will not be available to manage that component. Without the extensions, you would not find any policies related to that extension in your ePO.

Each version of endpoint product we release, we usually release a corresponding update for the extension as well. In the below KBA link, you can see the extensions listed for their respective version of endpoint component.

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB82761

Having said that, from the Second Screenshot, we can see that your extensions are already updated successfully and you are running the latest version of Extensions.

Hence can you please confirm if you are still receiving these alerts?

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!

Thanks and regards,
Adithyan T
McAfee Employee
Message 3 of 8

Hi @zuku 

To Answer your second question:

2.My second question if I get new software updates, do I need update "Full Install Package" (first on attached photo) or should I update extension only?

As I mentioned before, the extensions are the management modules for ePO. So it is very important that you also update the client packages and deploy them accordingly for your endpoints.

The takeaway is, Extensions are required to be updated to ensure latest versions endpoints are managed with the newer features and fixes available.
The client packages also need to be updated to ensure your endpoints (workstations/Servers) remain protected using newer technologies/features implemented in the newer version and include fixes and vulnerabilities taken care of.

I sincerely hope this helps.

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!

Thanks and regards,
Adithyan T
zuku
Level 8
Message 4 of 8

Ah now understand I thought that if update is from the same release let say "October 2019" then numbering for client package an extension are the same, but they differ as I see.

thanks for explanation.

McAfee Employee LKS
McAfee Employee
Message 5 of 8

Hi zuku,

Whenever we release any product, we also release extensions to read the XML file which has been sent by the client machine. Hence, always update the extension first then update the package on client machine.

2. If you say i have already installed latest package on client machines, but still am getting a notification stating "latest packages available in software manager", because you have the same package version checkedin two different branches.

Ex : Go to Master Repository, check if you have ENS security platform/TP or any other product checked in two different branches (Evaluation,Current,Previous). 

So Software Manager just scans all of your branches in Master Repository to see if you have latest packages checked or not.

Indeed we would recommended your to check in the  Bundle rather than checking individual module/extension. By doing so, your job would make easier and you do not have to search for latest extensions. Bundle packages contains packages/extension like below.

3. Extensions are only used on ePO server which does vital role in ePO. If there is no extension updated, then you would not be able to create policy/create client task/queries & reports/system tree (column information) update.

Was my reply helpful?

If you find this post useful, please give it a Kudos! Also, please don't forget to select "Accept as a Solution" if this reply resolves your query!

zuku
Level 8
Message 6 of 8

regarding bundle I have only two packages, I do not see bundle latest package from October

bundle.jpg

McAfee Employee
Message 7 of 8

Hi @zuku 

ENS 10.6.1 October update was not released as a bundle package. You will find the individual packages to be checked in as you can see in the screenshot.

Kindly please let me know if you prefer any further clarification regarding Extensions update and client package update.

Was my reply helpful?

Thanks and regards,
Adithyan T
McAfee Employee LKS
McAfee Employee
Message 8 of 8

But i could see ENS October update as bundle package in my EPO.

ens1.PNGens2.PNGens3.PNG 

Click on the ENS 10.6.1.1386 package and right hand side you will see the packages/extensions.

Was my reply helpful?

If you find this post useful, please give it a Kudos! Also, please don't forget to select "Accept as a Solution" if this reply resolves your query!

More McAfee Tools to Help You

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community