cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

No Communication between ePO 5.10 server and systems (New Installation on Server 2012 R2)

Jump to solution

After importing systems using the Active Directory Synchronization type, all the systems appear in the group but it appears that ePO is unable to communicate with the systems. I tried pinging from ePO but it failed for all except two (2) systems, one of which is the DC. These two systems are sitting on the network block where the ePO server is seated. Any system outside of that network block is unreachable when trying connectivity from ePO. When I ping from the command line I get a response. I further tried enabling network discovery and disabling the firewall completely on some of the unreachable systems but that did not work. I will appreciate any pointers to a solution to this problem.

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 4 of 7

Re: No Communication between ePO 5.10 server and systems (New Installation on Server 2012 R2)

Jump to solution

If you can ping the system from epo via command line (not through epo ping), then you should be able to deploy an agent.  See KB56386 for environmental requirements to push an agent.  You can't use a client task since the systems aren't managed yet, but you can go to the system, action, agent, deploy agent.  Basically you have to be able to get to the \\systemname\admin$ share from epo with the credentials you are using to push the agent with - if you can't get to that share and copy files to it, then neither can epo. 

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

View solution in original post

Re: No Communication between ePO 5.10 server and systems (New Installation on Server 2012 R2)

Jump to solution

We are using a routed network and as a result of this there was a problem with computer name resolution. To overcome this issue I had to introduce a WINS server onto the network and in addition to this, I went ahead and followed your advice to have a look at KB56386 for environmental requirements to push an agent and my problem was solved.

Many thanks.

6 Replies
McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 7

Jump to solution

Did you deploy the agent to all the systems when you imported them?  If so, on the client, go to c:\programdata\mcafee\agent\logs and look at the masvc log - search for asci.  It will show errors if agent failed to connect to epo.  I would be interested in what the errors are.  Please don't post any sensitive info, like servernames/ip's. 

On the epo server, in the db\logs folder where epo is installed, does the server log show any connection attempts from the clients not able to communicate?

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Jump to solution

Thanks for the response cdinet. The challenge is since ePO can't communicate with the systems, I can't deploy any software via the ePO server. We have approximately 1000 systems so I am trying to avoid manual deployment, hence the Active Directory synchronization method.

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 7

Jump to solution

If you can ping the system from epo via command line (not through epo ping), then you should be able to deploy an agent.  See KB56386 for environmental requirements to push an agent.  You can't use a client task since the systems aren't managed yet, but you can go to the system, action, agent, deploy agent.  Basically you have to be able to get to the \\systemname\admin$ share from epo with the credentials you are using to push the agent with - if you can't get to that share and copy files to it, then neither can epo. 

Was my reply helpful?

Jump to solution

Thanks, let me give that a shot.

Jump to solution

We are using a routed network and as a result of this there was a problem with computer name resolution. To overcome this issue I had to introduce a WINS server onto the network and in addition to this, I went ahead and followed your advice to have a look at KB56386 for environmental requirements to push an agent and my problem was solved.

Many thanks.

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 7 of 7

Jump to solution

Glad that worked!

Was my reply helpful?

More McAfee Tools to Help You

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community