I have the same issue.
We are using a software distribution software to install VSE and Agent on the clients.
The are using on all computer the same package to install.
Only on computer running XP with SP3 we have this issue!
Reinstall VSE with the same Package did not fix the issue!
Mcafee Agent 4.5
VSE 8.7 SP2 + Hotfix
ePO will report what ever properties the VirusScan plugin for Agent returns in LastProp.xml. Please open a support ticket with McAfee Support and request it to be escalated to the VirusScan Tier 3 team for further investigation.
I have found that the issue is related to the Common Files/McAfee folder. On most of these I found, after the uninstall of VSE, that folder isn't getting removed after the reboot, so that makes me think there is an issue with a permission that gets set on it. I have yet to be able to justify that claim, but deleting that folder and then reinstalling has been working for me on the very few that I have seen. I also have not seen this in a while, but I believe that is due to my dwindling number of 8.5 clients I have left out there. I think this is related to the same issue that causes 8.5 clients to sometimes report N/A for the DAT and Engine versions to EPO, as I see any of these issues, it is an immediate upgrade to 8.7i.