Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jtoast
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 7

NetUseAdd function does not support DFS

Jump to solution

We use DFS for our AV updates simply because we have sites around the world and users who travel so hardlinking can sometimes generate excessive network traffic across our WAN. When the agent begins the update process, the first thing it does is attempt to map a drive using NetUseAdd.

Unfortunately, the NetUseAdd function does not support DFS. This generates quite a bit of log chatter when it fails along with unnecessary network traffic.   After the failure, the agent then successfully connects via WnetAddConnection2.  

My question is, does anyone know how to force the agent to try to connect via WnetAddConnection2 first?  

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 5 of 7

Re: NetUseAdd function does not support DFS

Jump to solution

I got an email for what you posted that isn't showing up.  I would recommend opening a product enhancement request (idea) per kb60021 to see about getting that functionality changed.  While we do support dfs, it does have its problems as you see, and is not the recommended method. 

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

6 Replies
McAfee Employee Hawkmoon
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 7

Jump to solution

Hi jtoast,

... not sure your coming at this from the right angle.

MA will use the available resources, be these FTP, HTTP or UNC MA and DFS have historically had issues but not so much now. I'd suspect a more permission/access based matter is in effect here.

Do you have some logs (McScript) and event logs details about the update you run when it fails you can share please?

fyi:

NaInet Failed to MAP share using NetAPI now using WNetAddConnection2, return code=1219 (ePolicy Orchestrator agent update task fails)
Technical Articles ID: KB66804

I wonder if something like the above is the matter at play here!

Was my reply helpful?

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 3 of 7

Jump to solution

See also KB53420

Was my reply helpful?

jtoast
Level 7
Message 4 of 7

Jump to solution

I realized that what I just posted broke the thread formatting so I had to edit it a few times to fix the image.  That post is now awaiting moderation. I will repost it if It doesn't show up in 24 hours.

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 5 of 7

Jump to solution

I got an email for what you posted that isn't showing up.  I would recommend opening a product enhancement request (idea) per kb60021 to see about getting that functionality changed.  While we do support dfs, it does have its problems as you see, and is not the recommended method. 

Was my reply helpful?

jtoast
Level 7
Message 6 of 7

Jump to solution

An enhancement request was the answer I was expecting.  I just wanted to verify there were no other options.  As a side note, we use DFS because we have machines on tankers that could update from any of our ports around the world.  DFS, while not a perfect solution, is the best we have come up with to minimize WAN traffic. 

Highlighted
McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 7 of 7

Jump to solution

Understood.  Maybe they can come up with a solution for you at some point.

Was my reply helpful?

ePO Support Center Plug-in
Check out the new ePO Support Center. Simply access the ePO Software Manager and follow the instructions in the Product Guide for the most commonly used utilities, top known issues announcements, search the knowledgebase for product documentation, and server status and statistics – all from within ePO.