cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving ePO 4.5 to ePO 4.6 to a new machine with new name

Jump to solution

Hi,

I inherited an EPO 4.5 which is installed on the same server as Windows Sharepoint Services, and I wanted to move it to a VM of its own with a new name.

Also the clients (Windows 7) aren't getting their policy settings (only servers).

So I'm talking about:

• Name change
  • Upgrade do ePO 4.6
  • Upgrade clients to agent 4.6 + VSE 8.8

This is roughly 70 machines so I don't mind some "manual labour" to get this working properly.

I was thinking of installing the new ePO and just moving clients over, but how would I go about updating the clients?

Thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Tristan
Level 15
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 5 of 5

Re: Moving ePO 4.5 to ePO 4.6 to a new machine with new name

Jump to solution

Yes, all the site list and policy settings are just overwritten with that of the new server.

4 Replies

Jump to solution

Forgot to mention, I don't mind starting from scratch (new policies and all).     

Tristan
Level 15
Message 3 of 5

Jump to solution

Starting from scratch is probably your easiest option if your wanting to rename the ePO server AND deploy new agents.

You could jump through the hoops and register the old ePO server with the new to transfer all your clients over but it would be a lot easier to just do a mass 'Add New Systems' and install the 4.6 agent to your 70 clients to get them managed in the new ePO server.

I did the same thing for 300 clients and it only took 3 days to migrate all the clients over (200 we're at the other end of a slow WAN link so i had to do it in stages)

I would suggest though checking in VSE 8.7 and VSE 8.8 (assuming 8.7 is what your upgrading from) into your new ePO server. That way you can still manage the clients until you get around to the VSE upgrade.

Jump to solution

Hi,

So if I push the Agent from the new ePO the clients will just start pointing to that one and "forget" about the old ePO?

Tristan
Level 15
Message 5 of 5

Jump to solution

Yes, all the site list and policy settings are just overwritten with that of the new server.