cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jcain13
Level 7

Moving EPO 4.6.4 from Server 2003 (32bit) to Server 2008 (64bit)

Hello -

I've noticed quite a few documents on the McAfee site that show information for backups, DR planning and migration.  Are these the most comprehensive docs available currently to provide guidance for planning an EPO move to a new server?  I'm trying to compare whether we want to change the hostname and IP vs. keeping things the same and doing a hard cutover.  Any thoughts or suggestions from others that have done a move recently?  We have 5000+ nodes.  Not all nodes regularly check in either which has me concerned for knowing when the migration can be considered complete.  Thanks for any help or advice in advance!

These are the KBs I've read thru so far:

KB75841

KB71078

KB66616

0 Kudos
6 Replies
ederlezi
Level 7

Re: Moving EPO 4.6.4 from Server 2003 (32bit) to Server 2008 (64bit)

if i were you, i'd keep hostname and ip. Just backup ur epo folder and follow the backup/disaster recovery procedure https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB66616.

i dont see much problem tbh and the procedure is quite fine. I used it last month

Ce message a été modifié par: ederlezi on 13/12/12 11:49:02 CET
0 Kudos
PhilR
Level 12

0 Kudos
jcain13
Level 7

@ederlezi and @PhilR - thanks for the info and insight into what you've done.  I did an EPO move years ago when it was somthing like EPO 3.0 and the environment was far smaller than what I'm supporting today.

Appreciate your responses!  The only reason I was really thinking about changing the hostname and IP was due to the fact that I believe I have broken agents that I'm unaware of currently (we don't sync with AD) as well as I'd like to change the ports used to something different as well.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
PhilR
Level 12

You can discover the machines with broken or no agents with the rogue system sensor.

0 Kudos
jcain13
Level 7

True about the rogue sensor - except for the fact I pick up hundreds of anomalies every day due to so many other devices coming on the network and only 1 sensor in place to detect.  Another option I've thought about is researching how to run AD sync alongside using IP criteria somehow.  I would like to use AD sync but have quite a hybrid model in place with DMZ zones and non-domain systems.

0 Kudos
ederlezi
Level 7

Rogue sensor is pretty good with an automated response (deployment task), sync AD is the best, u can simply import a list txt or csv. Where you can export list (dhcp, sniff, AD, etc ...), you can import after.

There's many possibilities.

0 Kudos