Just had this fight today. i thought all would be well and good after reading articles 614733 and 613867 but fouund out that the initial success was not all true.
to move EPO4 to another server with a different name
follow guidelines layed out in articles 613867 (migration) and 614733 (database backup and restore)
after these are complete you will find the server is up and running and you can deploy the agents again and all clients will register. you can deploy new systems and all seems well
However repository pulls will fail. in my case the repository master key was not matching the following needs to be done to rectify this
1. edit the server.ini file (default location is c:\program files\mcafee\eplicy orchestrator\db). this will have been copied over from your previous server and still contain a. the old server name b. if your epo 4 install was an upgrade from a previous version, it will contain the old database name 3. the TCP port the database on the old server listened on (1433 by default)
2. log into the epo server, go to configuration, and security keys within there. if the name of the old server is listed as the holder of the local master repository key pair, you must change this by deleting (i chose to cut and past it to somewhere else) the zip file name sm<oldservername>.zip
3. restart the three epo services and test for updates.
i spent a fair amount of time today with this particular fight, but now my epo4 server is up and running and updating correctly.
the only thing i found was that becasue my original epo server reached version 4 after many many upgrades (it was version 3 when it started out and went through 3.5 and 3.6 before it became 4). when it was setup its msde database was setup to use SQL authentication. i had to manually enable mixed mode authentication in the SQL Express 2005 database that epo installs by changing the value of the registry entry "loginmode" to a hex value of 2 (the article i read that from said you must keep the value as hex and not decimal) the reg entry can be found in HKLM\software\microsoft\microsoft sql server server\mssql.1\msssqlserver. after changin the reg key i had to use the sql server managment studio express utility to log in with windows authentication and enable the SA login account.
i would have loved to have started with a fresh epo database but i am only at this particular site once a week, and there is so much config in the database that was created and not documented by my predecessor that a database move is the only option