cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mostly Duplciate Devices

We have a few devices that are showing up as duplicates in ePO. These duplicate entries are almost entirely blank with only the system name and AD description in them. The other entry for the device is missing the AD description which appears to be causing the issue. After talking with support they weren't able to see anything wrong as our AD sync task is setup correctly. We saw this issue in 5.1.x as well as 5.9.x

Not sure if 5.10 will resolve but I haven't seen anything in the release notes that gives me hope it will. Does anyone have any ideas how to fix this? I've removed both entries and let them come back on their own. After two AD syncs the duplicate comes back.

8 Replies
McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 9

Re: Mostly Duplciate Devices

Is there anything unique about the systems that show up as duplicates?  Are they virtual machines, connected via vpn or anything else?  Are they typically same machines or different random ones that don't have any pattern?  If you delete the system from epo (don't check remove agent) and let it check itself back in, does issue still occur?  Does the unmanaged entry (blank) ever get populated?

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Most of them are VDIs but not all. Not on a VPN. We have seen true duplicates on VPNs.

I think it's mostly the same machines.

Yes, if I delete from ePO it checks back in and makes a duplicate. The duplicate itself won't happen until 2 AD syncs normally when we delete.

Nope, the entry never populates. The only details are the name, AD description, and the AD group it's in.

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 9

Are these non-persistent vdi's?  Is the agent installed in vdi mode?  See kb79823.  Here is the thing about this if the agent is installed in vdi mode.  For that to work properly, the vdi system has to be shut down properly.  The way it works is that the system sends a shut-down command to the agent and then the agent sends a deprovision command back to epo so that epo knows it is the same system when it comes back up, and agent gets response back from epo.  If that part of the process doesn't happen (system shuts down before the communication occurs), then the agent doesn't get deprovisioned and it comes back as a new system with a new agent guid, etc., which will create a duplicate entry in epo.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

They are persistent VDIs. I don't think I ever saw the issue on the non-persistent versions.

We actually don't install them in VDI mode. Does this have any benefits? I've never looked deeply into this, but it sounds like it might cause additional problems.

It looks like from the KB provided that duplicate issue was resolved in eP0 5.1.2 and Agent 5.0 patch 1.

These devices are running Agent 5.6.0 and 5.5.0 and I have ePO 5.9.1

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 9

VDI mode is for non-persistent images only, so don't use it on persistent ones.  There was also an issue with the sync from VMware to epo that created duplicates, but you would probably see it more consistent.  What I would look at first is if there are any tasks whatsoever that might be reinstalling the agent with a forceinstall.  That will also create duplicates.  You can validate that by looking at windows\temp\mcafeelogs folder and if there are several agent install logs, check them for the command it is running, whether there is a forceinstall being used or not.

Was my reply helpful?

Highlighted
McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 7 of 9

Check also kb91619.

Was my reply helpful?

It looks like there is a force install option that someone must have set when they made the package. Would that not resolve when both entries were deleted? I normally would attempt the next Agent install manually and not have our automated tool do it.

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 9 of 9

Whether the system was removed from epo or not, when you do a forceinstall, it creates a new agent guid, so epo will enter it as a new machine.  When you remove the duplicate and original so no system by that name exists, it will check back in, but at some later point when the agent gets that task to reinstall with a forceinstall, you have another duplicate then.  Forceinstall should only be used if you are downgrading the agent for any reason or having to force a reinstall of the same version.  If you are upgrading or installing fresh, don't use forceinstall.

Was my reply helpful?

More McAfee Tools to Help You

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community