cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Most efficient randomization for VirusScan updates?

I have about 10,000 clients.  What is the most effective, randomized schedule for updating them once a day during business hours?

Right now I'm repeating between 12:00 a.m. and 11:59 p.m. every 6 hours with 6 hours of randomization.  I notice that my clients are not spread across the day evenly.  Most are scheduling between 4 and 5 p.m.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
3 Replies

Re: Most efficient randomization for VirusScan updates?

Figured it out - If your clients are only powered on during business hours, create a task that starts at 10:00 a.m. local time with 6 hours of randomization.  This will spread out all your clients between 10:00 a.m. and 4 p.m. (local time) for VSE DAT updates.  Why wait until 10:00 a.m.?  Because if a machine starts up after 10:00 a.m., it will wait until the next 'trigger' (which could be the next day or repetition of the task).  Most people arrive at work by 9:30 a.m. local time, so waiting until 10:00 a.m. helps assure the majority of the clients will get that days task, and pick a random time between 10:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. to minimize bandwidth usage throughout the day.

We had an issue with bandwidth due to rollout of VSE 8.7 requiring full DAT update (~60 mb).  Killed the branch WAN connections when 'Update at Boot' task was enabled.

Randomization is time BEHIND your trigger.  It does not spread out before.  i.e.  A 10:00 a.m. trigger time with 6 hours of randomization does not create a window from 7:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. (3 hours before + 3 hours after) or 4 a.m. to 4 p.m (6 hours before + 6 hours after).  It creates a window from 10:00 a.m. to 4 p.m. (6 hours post trigger time).

Message was edited by: craig357 on 3/16/10 11:19:52 AM GMT-05:00

How is your environment setup for On demand Scan task randomization?

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 4 of 4

Running an on demand scan task is a local client side event only (apart from sending the scan started/completed events).  Basically randomization is not needed with that, as it will not affect any bandwidth in your network.  Additionally, if randomization is enabled on a scan task, you have less control over when it runs, especially if you want it to run in off-peak times.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

More McAfee Tools to Help You

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community