cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migration machines to new ePO server with new IP address

Jump to solution

Hi, 

Soon I will be moving machines from ePO 5.3.3 to new server 5.9.1. For some of the machines IP address will change until migration is finish and question is, If DNS name will stay the same and machines are UNMANAGED in ePO 5.9.1 will they get new IP registered on DNS once agents will be deployed from 5.9.1. Was thinking maybe use "Transfers Systems" from 5.3 to 5.9 but don't know how this will behave on IP addresses, don't want transer machines with incorrect IP address

Hope this make sense. 

Oskar 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 4 of 6

Re: Migration machines to new ePO server with new IP address

Jump to solution

If you look at the last communication, they are out of date.  If they were current in communication, their IP would be updated.  Epo can't change anything if the agent doesn't send the new info.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

5 Replies
Highlighted
McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 6

Jump to solution

The incorrect ip address scenario, is that referring to clients or the new epo server?

Transfer systems has nothing to do with what IP address is on the client, if that is your question.  IP addresses change all the time with dhcp, so each asci that the agent performs, it will update its properties in epo.

If the epo address is changing, then as long as the system can resolve dns name, it will get any updated address.

If you have further questions, please clarify what you are asking so we can answer more definitively.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Jump to solution

Hi cdinet, 

Screenshot below shows how single IP address was assign to 3 diffrents machines in ePO 5.3

IP address changed on clients, but ePO server never update own records when machines. 

image.png

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 6

Jump to solution

If you look at the last communication, they are out of date.  If they were current in communication, their IP would be updated.  Epo can't change anything if the agent doesn't send the new info.

Was my reply helpful?

Jump to solution

Understandable, but this is the last communication with EPO, some on machines with the client installed are in-line with the new IP address, but on ePO they are as "offline" in details there is the last IP registered (majority are laptop for example where they coming and going online/offline if they are offline DNS will assign IP address to another machine. Then machine which has assigned IP on first place is coming back online with new IP assign ePO server doesn't update this machine in follow this is failing to be compliant.

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 6

Jump to solution

Then you need to resolve why it isn't communicating.  Either that, or is there a duplicate entry for that system?  If so, you can remove the oldest duplicate entry.

Was my reply helpful?

Member Rewards
McAfee Community rewards active and helpful members just like you. Click here to take a look at the first community members who received a special reward and were recognized by McAfee leader, Aneel Jaeel, for their participation and trusted knowledge in the community.