cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migration from VirusScan Enterprise 7.1 to 8.5

Hello,

We are currently running ePO 3.6.1 and have managed to successfully install 8.5 VirusScan on most machines. However, we have discovered that some servers are currently running 7.1.
I have been searching for documentations on how to do this upgrade online, but found nothing, and I was told that you'd have to manually remove 7.1 from these machines, reboot, then install 8.5.

Having read some of the other threads on upgrading from 8.0 to 8.5, I gathered that I could setup a deployment task to remove 7.1 then install 8.5.

Does this require a reboot? I wanted to make sure before I do anything, as these servers requires to be up 24/7 and any reboots will require authorisations.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jon
4 Replies
twenden
Level 13
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 5

RE: Migration from VirusScan Enterprise 7.1 to 8.5

I was in a similar situation to you a few weeks ago. we had about 7 systems in EPO that were still running VSE 7.1. Several of these systems were servers.

I decided that it would be better not to jump two versions and instead install VirusScan 8.0i and at a later date install VSE 8.5i. I always set a deployment task to remove VSE 7.1 and then another to install VSE 8.0i. All the systems installed VSE 8.0i without any issues and I have not received any complaints about the servers rebooting. Another reason that we decided not too go to VSE 8.5i on some of these systems is that they are old Pentium III systems some with only 128MB RAM. I did not want to take a chance that VSE 8.5i would bog the systems down too much.

Thanks for your reply.
I don't have the option to install 8.0 from ePO so have to go for 8.5 direct.
I have tried scheduling a remove deployment task, but no effect. vcagent and udaterUI is still running.
did you have to manually remove the agent first? It's not in Add / Remove Programs, so how do you remove it?

You do not have to remove VS7.1 before - the VSE8.5 setup will take care of removing this product :

https://knowledge.mcafee.com/SupportSite/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=9055800&slice...

Thanks very much for this.
I have just tried again. Do you need to manually install the package, or do you need to stop the services first? As i have tried manually and deploy from ePO, but it's still showing as 7.1 in the list.