cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating policies and systems between 5.3 and 5.10

Jump to solution

Hi,

KB88822 (How to migrate policies and systems from one ePO server to another7/10/18) advises the following:

- "Install a clean copy of the same version of ePO on another server"

- Export the policies (ensure the extensions are the same on both ePO instances).

KB51702 (5/7/18) advises on issues exporting policies from a 4.x server to a 5.x server, and then advises "The Export/Import feature is intended for use between servers with the same version of ePO."

The latter seems to imply that KB51702 is talking about the major version - does the same follow with KB88822, ie is it possible to export a policy from a 5.3 server and import that policy directly into a 5.10 server?  This assumes that both the 5.3 server and the 5.10 server have exactly the same product extensions installed in relation to the policy in question.

Many thanks,

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 7

Re: Migrating policies and systems between 5.3 and 5.10

Jump to solution

The same version of epo means just that - 5.3 to 5.3, for example.  5.10 and even 5.9 have different schema changes than 5.3, which is why it is not recommended to import/export between different versions of epo. 

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

6 Replies
McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 7

Jump to solution

The same version of epo means just that - 5.3 to 5.3, for example.  5.10 and even 5.9 have different schema changes than 5.3, which is why it is not recommended to import/export between different versions of epo. 

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Jump to solution

Cheers cdinet,

Forgive me, I always forget the exact terminology - between 5.3 and 5.10, 5 is the major release, and the .3 and .10 the minor, correct?

What 'level' of version needs to be the same - could you export from 5.3.2 to 5.3.3 for example?

To confirm, both the ePO version and the product extensions must be exactly the same?

Just to give some background - we have an issue with a 5.3.2 server which means we are unable to update the product extensions (and current extension versions are not supported on 5.10), and unable to perform an inline update (DB is unstable, and we have other ongoing conversations with McAfee).  As such we are looking to build a 5.10 server and migrate.  Given the above, and also the fact that we will have a new DB infrastructure that does not support ePO 5.3.2, I am suspecting we would need an 'intermediate' ePO server, as follows:

1) Stand up interim temporary ePO 5.3.2 server with same extensions

2) Migrate policies and configurations from existing ePO server to interim ePO server

3) Perform upgrades (extensions and ePO version) to interim ePO server

4) Stand up target ePO 5.10 server

5) Migrate policies and configurations from interim ePO server to target ePO server

Would you agree?

Thanks for the swift response!

PS: Another KB(79283) states "Also, policy export from ePO 4.x.x to 5.x.x is not supported" - it may be worth rewording this to state between versions rather than this example, as this could imply that 5.x to 5.x is supported.

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 7

Jump to solution

By same version, we mean 5.3.2 > 5.3.2, not 5.3.2 > 5.3.3 or any other version.  So, version and build/patch level of epo and extensions must be the same.  5.1, 5.3, 5.9 and 5.10 are all major releases, not minor.  There are many changes between each version that might make policy imports between versions cause problems.  Your intermediate epo solution is your safest option and doesn't need physical hardware to do it, only a vm is sufficient.  And actually, you can eliminate a step by installing 5.3.2 on the server you want to be your 5.10 server, get everything migrated, then upgrade it.  That would eliminate one step of migrations and installs.

Was my reply helpful?

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Spot on, cheers cdinet!

Removal of that noted step is not possible, as the target DB SQL Server version is 2016, which is not supported by ePO 5.3.2 (and we are not in control of that DB environment).  Regarding the VM step, wholly agree - the intermediate ePO server will certainly be on a VM with local SQL Express :-)

Jump to solution

PPS... is there anything documented that clearly states what portion of the ePO version number is major and minor?  I know this is stated in NSP documentation, but I cant seem to find it for ePO.

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 7 of 7

Jump to solution

Not that I know of other than the version numbers.  you have 5.0, 5.1, 5.3, 5.9 and 5.10.  The minors would be when you get into 5.3.1, 5.3.2, etc.

With 5.10, they aren't doing that type of naming convention anymore, it keeps the version the same, but with update1, update2, etc.

Was my reply helpful?

ePO Support Center Plug-in
Check out the new ePO Support Center. Simply access the ePO Software Manager and follow the instructions in the Product Guide for the most commonly used utilities, top known issues announcements, search the knowledgebase for product documentation, and server status and statistics – all from within ePO.