Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 7

Migrating ePO to new Server

Hi,

We have a Server 2008 5.9.1 instance of ePO and SQL 2008. Was originally 5.3 but upgraded a few weeks back. We now want to migrate this to a new Server 2016 instance with SQL2016.

I have built the new server and installed ePO 5.9.1 and created a blank ePO DB on the SQL, this is working, what is the best way to migrate the current one over to this new instance, bearing in mind the IP/name will be different due to other things still not migrated off that server.

Thanks

6 Replies
Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 7

Re: Migrating ePO to new Server

Hello @AP1980 ,

If your system IP/Name is different then, KB66616 will not work where you do a restore of previous epo backup.

The only option you can try is  to transfer the systems to new epo server following : KB79283

Also if you need to move your policies and systems from one ePO server to another epo server then you can follow : KB88822

note: Make sure you have the same version of extensions installed on your new epo server then only the policy will be imported into your new epo.

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! l Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!

Thanks and regards,
Yash T
Highlighted
Level 8
Message 3 of 7

That was the approach I was thinking. Register the new ePO with the old one, and move the systems/policies over to it.

Is there much issue/risk with this?

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 7

Hello @AP1980 ,

only thing you need to make sure is that all the client systems are communicating to old epo server then only it will be redirected to new epo server.

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! l Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!

Thanks and regards,
Yash T
Highlighted
Level 8
Message 5 of 7

Is there a way to migrate the extensions so the version are all the same?

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 7

Hello @AP1980 ,

It is not possible to Migrate the extension , you need to install it from epo verifying the extension version from old epo server.

If you are not able to find the extension in software catalog then go to McAfee product download site type your credentials and then un check show latest versions, find your desired extensions download it and then checkin in your epo console extension page.

Was my reply helpful?

Thanks and regards,
Yash T
Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 7 of 7

When installing epo, you shouldn't have to create any database, as the install will create it.  However, your best bet to migrate everything over to that new server is to do a disaster recovery with restoring from snapshot option.  See install guide for instructions.  When the IP and hostname changes, there are a couple of things you can do.

1.  Set up dns aliases to point your systems to the new server

2.  After you get the new server set up, in the old server you can go to menu, agent handlers, then edit the epo server to add published dns and IP for the new server to point the clients to it.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community