cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating clients from ePO4.0 to a new ePO4.5 environment

Hi All,

I would like to discuss migrating exsiting McAfee Clients (v4.0 agents) from an existing ePO4.0 to a new ePO4.5 deployment. I was thinking about doing it this way:

1. Script removal of ALL existing agent installations from exsiting clients

2. Pushing the new 4.5 agent from the new ePO4.5

Is there an easier way of doing this as my understanding is that the existing agent is 'tied' to it's ePO server via the existing servers security keys ect.

Thank you,
Werner

4 Replies

Re: Migrating clients from ePO4.0 to a new ePO4.5 environment

Hello Wcoetsee,

Could you please provide a bit more of information like:

1. Are you going to keep the same IP, hostname, and FQDN on the new ePO server running the version 4.5 or this new ePO will have a new IP/hostname?

2. Are you worried in moving all of the history that you currently have in your ePO 4.0 (events, client tasks, server tasks, etc) to the new server or this is something that you are good to start from the beginning on the new ePO server?

Thanks,
Bruno

one more question, how many systems do you have in your ePO console?

Hi Bruno,

As stated in the title we will be migrating clients hence both systems will be up the same time meaning the new ePO 4.5 will have new hostname and IP address. The new server will have a fresh database, we will be exporting/importing some existing configuration for example policies. We will also recreate some og existing tasks ect.

There are approx 2000 clients.

thank you,

Werner

yHello Wcoetsee,

Thanks for your response. Well your procedure should work fine. I think you have other two alternatives:

1. Use a script or another tool following the instructions of this KB https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB66892

2. Export all systems from your current ePO server. Import them in your new ePO. From the new ePO server, select a couple of machines (each time) and send the McAfee Agent Install. You will probably have to enable the force install over the current installation. This should work, however, so far as I know McAfee does not recommend reinstalling the McAfee Agents using the forceinstall parameter. This usually is used as last resource when having to reinstall the McAfee Agent. I just want to make sure that you are aware of this option and also understand it's restrictions.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Bruno