Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 10

Migrate from EPO 5.3 (2008 R2) to 5.10 (2016) using the same DB Server

Jump to solution

Hello,

Our setup is as follows:
EPO 5.3 on 2008 R2 server
Database is on SQL 2014, 2016 server

We would like to migrate EPO to a new 2016 server, upgrade EPO to 5.10 using the existing database (DB server will not change).

New EPO server will have new IP and new hostname.

I have looked through the forums and found many useful guides for the migration but unsure which option would be best for my situation. Can you please confirm which option wuld be advised for my situation:

Option 1 Upgrade existing 2008 server to epo 5.10 Shutdown the existing 2008 server Install EPO 5.10 on new server and then perform a DB snapshot restore? Or do I simply point the new installation to the existing DB (which isnt moving)?

Option 2 Shutdown the existing 2008 server Install EPO 5.10 on new server and then perform a DB snapshot restore? Or do I simply point the new installation to the existing DB (which isnt moving)?

Option 3 Use the imgration utility to perform the migration many thanks

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 10

Re: Migrate from EPO 5.3 (2008 R2) to 5.10 (2016) using the same DB Server

Jump to solution

Either one of your options should be fine.  Be sure to follow kb71825, run the pre installation auditor tool, and run iiscrypto on the epo server that you will be upgrading and sql server, choose best practices and reboot.  That will help ensure the correct ciphers and protocols are enabled on both.  IISCrypto is a free download from Nartac.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

View solution in original post

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 8 of 10

Jump to solution

No, it won't work.  If you look at the manual steps to restore a server so it can use the same database (kb66616), there are a lot of files to have to restore to keep everything the same.  The snapshot recovery task automates that, as all those backup files, etc, are stored in the database.  So when you move the epo server to new physical server, you have to do it either via snapshot or manually.  Otherwise the agents won't have same keys, same extensions and software won't be there, etc.  You aren't just reinstalling a version of epo on a new server, but restoring an existing configuration with all its settings, etc.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

9 Replies
Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 10

Jump to solution

Hello,

Thanks for your post!

I would like to inform you that you can perform a Disaster recovery on new server and after that you can upgrade your ePO Server to version ePO 5.10.

ePO 5.10 is supported with Windows 2008 R2 Server.

Microsoft operating system ePO
ePO

Microsoft Windows Server 2008 Release 2 (64-bit)
(Standard, Enterprise, and Datacenter)
Yes 2 Yes 2

You can refer the below KB article for more information:

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB51569 

As you have mentioned that you are using ePO 5.3 and i believe that ePO 5.3 is not supported with Windows 2016 Server.

If you are using ePO 5.3.3 in that case it will work.

While upgrade please make sure that you have the back up available of ePO Server and ePO Database with the hep of the below KB article:

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB66616 

Option 1 Upgrade existing 2008 server to epo 5.10 Shutdown the existing 2008 server Install EPO 5.10 on new server and then perform a DB snapshot restore? Or do I simply point the new installation to the existing DB (which isnt moving)?

Not exactly, You need to perform the Disaster Recovery on new Server.
While restore process you will get an option for restore from the database.

Also you can perform the manual backup with the files and folders and all the steps are mentioned in the KB66616 

Option 2 Shutdown the existing 2008 server Install EPO 5.10 on new server and then perform a DB snapshot restore? Or do I simply point the new installation to the existing DB (which isnt moving)?

Restore will work with the same version of the ePO.

It means if you are taking a backup of ePO 5.3 and trying to restore with ePO 5.10 that will not work.

New EPO server will have new IP and new hostname.
The agent uses either the last known IP address, DNS name, or NetBIOS name of the ePO server. If you change any one of these values, make sure that the agents have a way to locate the server. The easiest way is to retain the existing DNS record and change it to point to the new IP address of the ePO server. After the agent successfully connects to the ePO server, it downloads an updated Sitelist.xml with the current information.

Another step ie install a new ePO with new Database and after that you can transfer the machines and transfer the policies. 

You can check the below KB article:

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB88822 

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB79283 

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! l Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 3 of 10

Jump to solution

My first question here would be. 

What is the total number of client machines you will be managing?

What McAfee products are you using in your current environment?

What other McAfee products do you plan to use?

The DB is going to be on the same machine as ePO server or is it going to be on a different server. 

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!
Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 10

Jump to solution

Your best option would be to upgrade your existing server in place since support for either os or sql 2016 wasn't until 5.3.3.  Once you upgrade, then you can so a snapshot recovery on your new server for the 5.10.

With the new servername and IP, I would suggest maybe ahead of time set up an alias in dns for the new hostname and IP and set that as your published dns in agent handler config to keep the agents talking.

Was my reply helpful?

Level 10
Message 5 of 10

Jump to solution

Hello,

Thank you all for your quick response!

Our EPO server is in fact 5.3.3, not 5.3! Apologies for the confusion.

So to confirm, the current setup looks like:

Server A: EPO 5.3.3 on 2008 R2 server
Server B: Database is on SQL 2014, 2016 server

The end  setup should look like:

Server B: Database is on SQL 2014, 2016 server
Server C: EPO 5.10 on Sever 2016

So the database and database server will never change. Only the Epo servers. Thank you for clarifying a backup from 5.3.3 into 5.10 will not work. That makes things easier to understand.

To answer Thussain The total number of managed machines is 751. We are only using Mcafee epolicy (antivirus protection). The database will be on a different server to the epo server.

So should I either:

Upgrade server A from 5.3.3 to 5.10 and then perform a DB snapshot backup
Install 5.10 on server C and perform a snapshot recovery
Create a CNAME record to point Server A hostname to Server C

Or

Leave Server A at 5.3.3 and perform a DB snapshot backup
Install 5.3.3 on server C and perform a snapshot recovery
Upgrade Server C from 5.3.3 to 5.10
Create a CNAME record to point Server A hostname to Server C

Many thanks!

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 10

Jump to solution

Either one of your options should be fine.  Be sure to follow kb71825, run the pre installation auditor tool, and run iiscrypto on the epo server that you will be upgrading and sql server, choose best practices and reboot.  That will help ensure the correct ciphers and protocols are enabled on both.  IISCrypto is a free download from Nartac.

Was my reply helpful?

Highlighted
Level 10
Message 7 of 10

Jump to solution

So, one last question...

Even though the database is staying on the same database server (server B), and I am backup/restoring to the same version of the DB, I still need to perform a snapshot recovery?

If I tried to skip the snapshot recovery and simply tried to connect to the DB during the install (on Server C), it will not work?

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 8 of 10

Jump to solution

No, it won't work.  If you look at the manual steps to restore a server so it can use the same database (kb66616), there are a lot of files to have to restore to keep everything the same.  The snapshot recovery task automates that, as all those backup files, etc, are stored in the database.  So when you move the epo server to new physical server, you have to do it either via snapshot or manually.  Otherwise the agents won't have same keys, same extensions and software won't be there, etc.  You aren't just reinstalling a version of epo on a new server, but restoring an existing configuration with all its settings, etc.

Was my reply helpful?

Highlighted
Level 10
Message 9 of 10

Jump to solution

Fantastic answer! That makes sense now.

Thank you for your quick response and thorough feedback

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 10 of 10

Jump to solution

Glad to help!  Good luck with it.

Was my reply helpful?

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community