cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Migrate ePo server

Jump to solution

Hello,
we have an ePo Sever 5.9.1 running, which we use to manage VirusScan Enterprise and McAfee Security for Microsoft Exchange.
The ePo Server runs on a Windows Server 2012 R2 with a SQL 2014 Express.
Now I have to migrate the ePo Server to a new Windows Server 2019.
In this context I would also like to migrate to the ePo Server 5.10.
Can someone tell me how to do this best?

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 8

Re: Migrate ePo server

Jump to solution

Hello @Peterzz ,

Best and easy way:

How to migrate policies and systems from one ePolicy Orchestrator server to another server
Technical Articles ID: KB88822

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! l Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!

Thanks and regards,
Yash T

View solution in original post

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 8

Jump to solution

Hello @Peterzz ,

So the steps i provided in that you will completely setup new epo 5.10 with new database. Once done follow steps to migrate all system and policies to new system.

Another method is:

1. Migrate sql to new server.

2. Migrate epo to new server with same name and ip address as old one .

3. Follow DR process from KB66616.

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! l Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!

Thanks and regards,
Yash T

7 Replies
Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 8

Jump to solution

Hello @Peterzz ,

Best and easy way:

How to migrate policies and systems from one ePolicy Orchestrator server to another server
Technical Articles ID: KB88822

Was my reply helpful?

Thanks and regards,
Yash T

Highlighted

Jump to solution

And what about the SQL database? Is it not needed at all?

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 8

Jump to solution

Hello @Peterzz ,

So the steps i provided in that you will completely setup new epo 5.10 with new database. Once done follow steps to migrate all system and policies to new system.

Another method is:

1. Migrate sql to new server.

2. Migrate epo to new server with same name and ip address as old one .

3. Follow DR process from KB66616.

Was my reply helpful?

Thanks and regards,
Yash T

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Thank you so much.

McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 8

Jump to solution

First check KB51569 for supported environments.  ePO 5.10 doesn't support Win 2019, so you would first need to upgrade your existing server before you can migrate it over to newer OS.  Will you also be moving the database to a different server and if so, full sql or sql express and what version?  Make sure also that the version of sql will be supported.  

Second, check kb90383 to ensure all your extensions are at the supported version for 5.10.  Here are some steps to follow.  

1.  Run IISCrypto on your existing server to prepare for upgrade, choose best practices and reboot.  If your sql express is on the same server as epo, then make sure tls 1.0 is still enabled, at least long enough for the upgrade. Once the upgrade and migration is complete, you can disable tls 1.0 if desired. ePO 5.10 is a little stricter in its tls and cipher requirements than 5.9.  Run that also on the new server you are going to install epo on and if different sql server, same thing there too.

2.  Since you can't run the snapshot recovery task with sql express (you can, but it will cause space issues with express), you will need to take manual backups per kb66616.  

3.  After going through steps above and running the pre-installation auditor tool, upgrade your existing epo server.  If, by chance, you are moving the database to a full sql server and it is a supported version for both epo versions, then move the database first per kb68427.  Once the database is moved, then make sure you know the disaster recovery passphrase.  If not, reset it in server settings, disaster recovery.  Then run the snapshot recovery server task and wait till it is complete and no failures.  Once complete, then take all the required backups of database and file system.  Once that is done, then you can do the upgrade.

4.  After upgrade is complete, follow steps above for taking another backup in the upgraded state.

5.  Depending on whether you moved to full sql server or not, you will then restore epo to the new server either using the snapshot recovery method or kb66616 manual method.  The epo install guide has snapshot recovery instructions.  

So you see, some of the steps are entirely dependent on how you are going to be handling the database, etc.  Since you are using express and I am assuming on the same server currently, if you choose to continue to use express, I would install it first on your new server, then move database as instructed above.  One other thing, if servername and IP are changing, you will need to do some dns redirects to point systems to the new server.  Keep in mind one thing.  If you want to keep the same servername on the new server, then once you have all the backups, bring down the old server, rename the new before doing any sql or epo installs.  Renaming an sql server can possibly break sql.  

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hello, Cdinet,
"ePO 5.10 doesn't support Win 2019" This article (https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB90935) states that Windows Server 2019, is supported.

Isn't it better to export the policies on ePO 5.9 as .xml files and import them on the new ePO 5.10 because I am installing a new server with a new name and IP address?

I would not migrate the SQL database (SQL Express in my case) at all.

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 8 of 8

Jump to solution

Hello @Peterzz ,

Export and import of policy will work with different versions of EPO just that extension should be same on both the Epo.

Was my reply helpful?

Thanks and regards,
Yash T
You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community