cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrate ePo 4.0 to a new server with ePo 4.6

Hello!

We are thinking about moving our existing ePO 4.0 (Patch 2) on MS SQL 2000 standard to a new virtual machine with the actual ePO 4.6 with a SQL Server Express 2008 R2.

So far I've found, that it is possible to export the database on the ePo 4.0 side and import it on the new machine.

We know that we have to get all agents new installed as it will be a IP and DNS-name change.

But: Is it possible to install ePO 4.6 direct on the new machine after database is imported to be able to continue with the existing settings or must we install ePO 4.0 first and make a update to 4.6 on the new machine?

Thank you!

Bye,

Marcus

Message was edited by: ajacobs to add migration category on 5/18/11 3:49:28 PM CDT
8 Replies
apoling
Level 14
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 9

Re: Migrate ePo 4.0 to a new server with ePo 4.6

Hi,

You need to start with ePO 4.0 on the new machine and then upgrade it because database structure is different for the two versions.

As for whether or not it is needed to reinstall all agents: we have tested it in our lab that in the case of ePO 4.6, when you change the EPO server IP, it updates sitelist.xml accordingly, and then clients download the new sitelist with new ePO server IP (most likely the same is true for ePO server name). So theoretically you might be able to spare agent reinstallation. Once the new system is ready (version 4.6), change DNS entry for old ePO to point to new system IP. clients migrate to new system and download new sitelist. Finally you can shutdown old ePO and delete old ePO DNS entry.

Attila

Hi!

Thank you for your answer.

The change-the-DNS-trick won't work, as the old server (not the ePO on it) will be (and must be) in place with the existing DNS-Name, as there are plenty more services running on the machine.

Is there a way to redeploy the new agents from the new ePO with it's new DNS-name/IP again? Or must it be done manually? Maybe deploying the new agents (we want to use the actual version) over the ePO 4.0 before upgrading to 4.6?

Bye,

Marcus

apoling
Level 14
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 4 of 9

I think still you can do the DNS trick in an interval where users agree to refrain from using those services or otherwise would not use the services. Before that interval, you would set the ASCI for all old clients to a very short interval, say few minutes and wakeup all agents. This assures the fastest migration to the new system.

or

Agent use NEtBIOS name as third option to contact ePO server if IP and DNS fails. Perhaps you could change old ePO NetBIOS name to something else and the new ePO NetBIOS name to the old ePO name. Once the change replicates in WINS, clients would find the new server by NetBIOS name and from then on the previous scenario would occur.

Is there a way to redeploy the new agents from the new ePO with it's new DNS-name/IP again

Very likely yes, since you would have the old system tree with all client info. That would take longer time / spike in bandwidth usage, I suppose.

Attila

Thank you for your thoughts on my problem. We'll give it a try in some weeks time. Just started to plan the migration.

Bye,

Marcus

Keep in mind that ePO 4.0 is not supported on Windows 2008 R2 (https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB51569).

So you must take extra steps to get to ePO 4.6. Also ePO 4.0 does not support SQL2008Express R2.

So a way could be like this:

1) Old server: Move database to SQL2005 Express (SP3 or higher)

2) Old server: Upgrade to ePO 4.6

3) Move ePO Server to new OS (with SQL2008Express R2) -> https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB66616

You must also recreate ePO´s certificates if you move the server to a new machine with a new name (https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB66620).

This is the trickiest part as it has never worked for us until now ...

Hello!

Thanks for your comments.

I have experienced migration problems and unexpected behaviour, compared to a fresh install of epo 4.6.

A clean install would be the best, but my chef said that it took him some time to get all the settings as they are now and he wants to skip this step if possible.

Keep in mind that ePO 4.0 is not supported on Windows 2008 R2 (https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB51569).

Also ePO 4.0 does not support SQL2008Express R2.

I missed this one. Thanks for your hints for the workflow.

You must also recreate ePO´s certificates if you move the server to a new machine with a new name (https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB66620).

This is the trickiest part as it has never worked for us until now ...

How did you solve the problem? Clean new install?

Bye,

Marcus

Yes if moving to a new server with a new servername I would recommend a fresh install.

I have experienced migration problems and unexpected behaviour, compared to a fresh install of epo 4.6.

Depending on the size of your environment and your bandwidth, you should consider a fresh install of epo 4.6 on a new server, with new policies, and RSD to autodetect new "rogues" and install VSE 8.8 and an agent, keyed to the new server. Agent 4.6 expected soon, as well.