Did you mean: 
Sohel
Level 9
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 14

Migrate ePO v5.9.1 from 2008 server to 2016 server

Jump to solution

Hello,

I'm moving my existing ePO (v5.9.1) from a 2008 server to a 2016, ePO version will stay intact.

I have nver done this but I understand snapshot would be the best method to follow? I'm curious to know if anyone have any done other opinions. 

Process I'm following:

1) Shutdown my current prod 2008 server, re-name my 2016 server with 2008 and reboot.

2) After a reboot, run ePO 5.9.1 installtion on my 2016 server and select restore from snapshot.

Does it matter if I don't change the IP address?

Much appreciated!!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
McAfee Employee hem
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 14

Re: Migrate ePO v5.9.1 from 2008 server to 2016 server

Jump to solution

Plan looks fine to me. Either machine name/IP should be same. To restore communication request from client machines, you need to create CNAME/DNS forwarder in DNS to forward the communication from old record of ePO to new one.

Was my reply helpful?

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?
13 Replies
McAfee Employee hem
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 14

Jump to solution

Plan looks fine to me. Either machine name/IP should be same. To restore communication request from client machines, you need to create CNAME/DNS forwarder in DNS to forward the communication from old record of ePO to new one.

Was my reply helpful?

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?
Sohel
Level 9
Message 3 of 14

Jump to solution

If I shutdown my  old server completely, and then assign the old name & IP address to new server, do I still need to do -  "CNAME/DNS forwarder in DNS to forward the communication from old record of ePO to new one"??

Thanks!

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 14

Jump to solution

No you don't

Was my reply helpful?

kblowe
Level 8
Message 5 of 14

Jump to solution

Hello,

I basically did the same thing here. I have a new WIndows 2016 server with epo 5.9.1 installed and restored the epo database. The old 2008 server with 5.9.1 is still up. But for the systems on the old server to communicate with the new server I need to create a CNAME record in DNS right? After the CNAME is created is there anything else I need to do to have the systems start communicating with the new server? Will the Agent Tray About state the new epo server DNS name and IP address? Help 

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 14

Jump to solution

It is a lot more complicated than that.  They won't communicate if the new server doesn't have the same keys as the old.  You would be better off to either re-deploy agents or use the transfer systems method.

Was my reply helpful?

kblowe
Level 8
Message 7 of 14

Jump to solution

It appears my new server has the same keys as the old, most likley due to me restoring the database. I am going to test the transfer systems method. I just set up my old epo server to transfer systems to the new epo server. So if this is successful, there is no need for the CNAME etc, correct ?

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 8 of 14

Jump to solution

correct.  If some of the systems don't transfer over, you can still try the cname, or redeploy agents

Was my reply helpful?

Highlighted
kblowe
Level 8
Message 9 of 14

Jump to solution

OK my security keys are the same on both servers, but I notied the old server name in the Security Keys sections. Is this due to the DB restore? I assume so. will that present a problem. I can export and import the keys, but I don't think that will change that old server name I see on the new server under Security Keys.

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 10 of 14

Jump to solution

The name of the keys is no problem.  As long as the agents are using one of the keys from either server, they will be able to communicate.  The agents don't use keys by system name or key name, so they are unaware of any display name in the system tree for a key.

Was my reply helpful?

ePO Support Center Plug-in
Check out the new ePO Support Center. Simply access the ePO Software Manager and follow the instructions in the Product Guide for the most commonly used utilities, top known issues announcements, search the knowledgebase for product documentation, and server status and statistics – all from within ePO.