cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mcafee EPO 4.5 apache log files

Hi,

My EPO 4.5 apache log files are increasing without limit. The access_log is running at 1GB and the SSL_Request_Log is running at 1.1GB which means i am rapidly running out of disk space on the server.

I've found the following Mcafee KB article - Some Apache logs are growing without limit in ePO 4.5 KB68796

It states that i can # out some lines to stop the logs, however i would like to move the log files to another drive on the server or reduce the size of the logs. I've looked at various apache articles etc but i've been unable to find out how to move and repoint the apache log files to a different drive on the server. Does anybody know how i would manage to move these logs?

Many Thanks in advance

9 Replies
Reliable Contributor SafeBoot
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 10

Re: Mcafee EPO 4.5 apache log files

Moved to EPO Forum.

bumped

runcmd
Level 10
Message 4 of 10

Yeah...  Same problem here.  I was hoping to find out that it's fixed in P1 but don't see anything about it in the "Release Notes for McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator 4.5 Patch 1".  I only learned this was an issue today, when I was alerted that the ePO was running low on disk space.  I stopped the "McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator 4.5.0 Server" service, moved the logs to a different folder, and then restarted the service.

apoling
Level 14
Message 5 of 10

Hi,

Seems as if you could change the folder:

-- ssl.conf excerpt--

# General setup for the virtual host

DocumentRoot "C:/PROGRA~1/McAfee/EPOLIC~1/DB"

# Bug 483081 - Added AH_ to the server name so it matches our certificate. This does not appear to have any adverse effects.

ErrorLog logs/error_log

TransferLog logs/access_log

-- end excerpt ---

I checked the DocumentRoot folder and it does not match the parent folder of the two log file names in also bold, but maybe another Apache config file controls paths for logging.

Attila

Message was edited by: Attila Polinger on 5/26/10 12:58:50 PM CEST
apoling
Level 14
Message 6 of 10

Actually, ssl.conf seem to use value of ServerRoot variable, which is defined in httpd.conf located in the same folder as ssl.conf.

So you might no be able to relocate just the logs to another folde, because the ServerRoot value could be used by other processes and changing that one alone could seriously affect apache operation.

Attila

runcmd
Level 10
Message 7 of 10

Ideally, I'd like to see McAfee introduce an option to set the maximum log file size and have it rollover.  Right now, my only viable options appear to be: (1) Switch logging off or (2) manually archive/delete the log files when they become too large.  The KB article that "gammcafeeaccount2" referenced indicates: "This issue is being evaluated for consideration in a future release or Patch version of the product."  That's why I was hoping to see something about it in the P1 release notes.

Highlighted
Raj909
Level 7
Message 8 of 10

We have installed Patch 4 for ePO 4.5 and after rebooting the server, the 2 apache log files are still huge and growing.  Any idea on when/how the logs file size will be reduced?

rackroyd
Level 16
Message 9 of 10

From the ePO 4.5 patch 4 resolved issues:

20. Issue: Apache logs located in \Apache2\Logs\ were growing without limit. (Reference: 562905)

Resolution: The Apache logs are now rotated if the size is greater than 5 megabytes. Now multiple instances of cmd.exe are present due to this change.

Rgds,

Rob

apoling
Level 14
Message 10 of 10

We have also installed Patch 4 and what we see is that log rotation actually produces plenty of 5 MB access_log archives up to a given point then a slightly renamed access_log archives with several 10s of megabytes (20 or 30).

accesslogpic.png

This does only ease and not solve the original problem: you are able to delete archives withut stopping ePO service but space keeps getting used.

Some further delete script should be manually created I suppose...

Attila

More McAfee Tools to Help You

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community