Did you mean: 
Highlighted
snoop
Level 9
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 20

McTray icon not visible on Win Server 2008

Jump to solution

I got an issue with McAfee agent on a Windows Server 2008 environment.

The Agent icon in the task bar is not visible on a remote session (mstsc /v:Server /admin).

As far as I know it is only visible on session 0 but I think I cannot connect to session 0 on a server 2008...

It is working with "cmdagent /s" but I want it to be started at logon.

So does anybody know how to get the agent icon started? (without using a startscript with cmdagent above)

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jump to solution

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947723

"How the /admin switch behaves
You can run the RDC 6.1 client (Mstsc.exe) together with the /admin switch to remotely administer a Windows Server 2008-based server that has or does not have Terminal Server installed. However, if you are trying to remotely administer a Windows Server 2008-based server that does not have the Terminal Server role service installed, you do not have to use the /admin switch. In this case, the same connection behavior occurs with or without the /admin switch."

That is, if you're connecting with RDP to a Windows 2008 server without Terminal Services installed, you're not getting the actual console, even if you use the /admin parameter.

I tested with a virtual 2008 R2 server. If I connect with RDP, I do not see the McAfee agent.  If I connect to the actual console of the machine with virtual center, I can see the McAfee agent.  In the first case, when I run 'quser' at the command prompt, I see 'rdp-tcp' but in the second case I see 'console'.

19 Replies
McAfee Employee JoeBidgood
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 20

Jump to solution

You need to connect via a console session - mstsc /console - then it'll appear.

HTH -

Joe

snoop
Level 9
Message 3 of 20

Jump to solution

That's right for Windows XP, but if you are using Win 7 the latest RDP client is not providing a /console switch. To be compatible you'll have the /admin option but it is not working...

If you are using /console it is ignored by mstsc.

McAfee Employee hem
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 20

Jump to solution

Is the agent coming up when you open agent monitor window from Command prompt (CmdAgent.exe /s) and click on the tabs 1-collect and send props etc?

Was my reply helpful?

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?
Ravskie
Level 9
Message 5 of 20

Jump to solution

just to add for Hem try this (cmdagent.exe /s /e) then check if the McTray will appear.

snoop
Level 9
Message 6 of 20

Jump to solution

Thanks for all the replies but in my question I'm writing:

"It is working with "cmdagent /s" but I want it to be started at logon." The agent icon is shown after triggering cmdagent.

Everyything is alright; agent to epo communication is working, the client gets his updates, sitelist, tasks, policies and so on.

Just the Agent icon is not shown; only the VirusScan symbol.

I cannot believe that I am the only one having that issue with Windows Server 2008...

McAfee Employee
Message 7 of 20

Re: McTray icon not visible on Win Server 2008

Jump to solution

I'm afraid I can't reproduce this - connecting from a Win7 machine to 2008R2 displays the tray icon correctly   (using the /admin switch)

What agent version are you using?

Thanks -

Joe

Message was edited by: JoeBidgood on 24/02/11 15:17:28 GMT
snoop
Level 9
Message 8 of 20

Re: McTray icon not visible on Win Server 2008

Jump to solution

McAfee Agent version is 4.5.0.1810

I'm also connecting from a Windows 7 client to Windows Server 2008 R2

McAfee Framwork Service is running

McAfee Employee
Message 9 of 20

Jump to solution

I don't know then, in that case - sorry   It's definitely capable of doing it...  you may need to open a case with Support for this.

Regards -

Joe

snoop
Level 9
Message 10 of 20

Jump to solution

I don't know then, in that case - sorry   It's definitely capable of doing it...  you may need to open a case with Support for this.

I called McAfee support and they said: "It's definitely NOT capable of doing it."

With Windows Server 2008 you'll need to manually trigger a "cmdagent /s"...

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community