cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

McTray.exe grabs Explorer.exe after logon

Hey guys,

we have the following problem:

When you logon to a Client and want to open an explorer it takes several minutes to open.

I found out that when you kill McTray.exe the explorer window pops open.

Sometimes when you log off McTray hangs.

This only happens on machines that have been installed with our latest version of VSE

and Agent. On machines that have been updated to the latest version, everything is fine.

No errors in any log, activated McTray debug log, nothing found.

When we looked closer at McTray's actions during that time we found out that it was trying

to connect to clr.verisign.net. That won't work as we're using a proxy with authentication.

That might be the problem.

So, how can we prevent McTray doing that? What else could be the problem?

Here's our config:

Windows XP SP3

VSE 8.7i Patch 4

McAfee Agent 4.5.0.1810 (Patch 2)

ePO 4.0 (build 1363)

Thanx in advance! I've been researching this since yesterday with no results, getting desperate.

Sincerely, Anouk

7 Replies

McTray.exe grabs Explorer.exe after logon

I just found out that when I change the McAfee Agent Policy to show the McAfee icon

on these machines after a reconnect to ePO, but it disappears after logging out and

in. On machines that have been updated, the M-icon remains.

cdobol
Level 10
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 3 of 8

Re: McTray.exe grabs Explorer.exe after logon

We are experiencing the same issue.  Anyone seen this or have a fix?  I am opening a SR with McAfee now reagrding this.

Our SR has been escalated to Tier2 but no clues so far. If I have any news I'll tell you.

cdobol
Level 10
Message 5 of 8

Our SR has been escalated to Tier 3 - still nothing.  Anyone else find anything interesting?

TCP    48.123.19.10:1180      199.7.51.190:80        SYN_SENT        2204

[McTray.exe]

cdobol
Level 10
Message 6 of 8

I believe I actually solved this mystery...   Has to do with IE settings.   If you have "Check For Server Certificate Revocation" enabled in Tools.. Internet Options.... Advanced... Security...  McTray.exe on startup will call out to clr.verisign.net.  That's not a problem when the machine in question can get to clr.verisign.net, but if its isolated from the internet it will cause a hangup delay upon startup.   We are now happy campers.

Yes, you're right. With that option disabled the problem is gone, but out of security reasons I can't disable this option

But we have a trace now. So we are a bit happier campers

cdobol
Level 10
Message 8 of 8

I have received notice on my SR that this issue has been sent to engineering for a fix.