cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zarberg
Level 10
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 7

McShield running on workstation, but ePO shows no product install.

Jump to solution

So while doing my daily check of stuff in ePO today I noticed that I have about 40 of my 500 machines that don't have VirusScanEnterprise running. That's not a HUGE deal as my organization used to have Trend Micro as our main AV product. Just to make sure I outputted the 40 machines and ran it through a PowerShell script to make sure the Trend Micro service was running, and it was not on about 25 of those 40. I modified the script a wee bit and noticed that those 25 actually had McShield running as a service, meaning that McAfee Anti Virus in some form is indeed running. I've tried doing a full wake-up call on those machines but nothing seems to change.

My questions are:

1) What would cause this behavior?

2) If a machine has the McAfee ePO client shouldn't all McAfee products show up?

3) What should I do about this?

4) could we re-install VirusScan and hope the re-install picks it up?

Thanks in advance.

Message was edited by: zarberg (made it a bit more readable) on 8/7/13 2:31:50 PM CDT
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
McAfee Employee JoeBidgood
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 7

Re: McShield running on workstation, but ePO shows no product install.

Jump to solution

(If these are 64bit machines, please check the same key under the WOW6432Node key - I should have mentioned that earlier, sorry.)

If that key is not present in either location then that would imply a problem with the installation of the point product - VSE in this case - and the best solution would be to uninstall and reinstall VSE. (It's the installer that creates this key and the values in it - these in turn allow the agent to "see" the point product and interact with it.)

HTH -

Joe

6 Replies
Highlighted
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 7

Jump to solution

There's a couple of things that can cause a product not to report itself to ePO. On an affected client machine, check HKLM\Software\Network Associates\ePolicy Orchestrator\Application Plugins - do you have a subkey for VIRUSCAN8800?

If so, does this subkey contain a value called PluginFlag, and if so what is the data for that value?

Thanks -

Joe

zarberg
Level 10
Message 3 of 7

Jump to solution

There is no subkey or subfolder under HKLM\SOFTWARE\Network Associates\ePolicy Orchestrator\Application Plugins with the term "viruscan" in it.

McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 7

Jump to solution

(If these are 64bit machines, please check the same key under the WOW6432Node key - I should have mentioned that earlier, sorry.)

If that key is not present in either location then that would imply a problem with the installation of the point product - VSE in this case - and the best solution would be to uninstall and reinstall VSE. (It's the installer that creates this key and the values in it - these in turn allow the agent to "see" the point product and interact with it.)

HTH -

Joe

zarberg
Level 10
Message 5 of 7

Jump to solution

The machines in question SHOULD all be WinXP 32 (unless the workstation group here is doing things without telling me) so looks like the product didn't install correctly.

So the uninstall and reinstall via ePO should fix?

Thanks, by the way.

McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 7

Jump to solution

Yep, the first approach would be uninstall and reinstall. If you like you can export the Application Plugins key to a text file and attach it here and we can take a look, but if there's no entry at all then it's probably an installer problem.

HTH -

Joe

zarberg
Level 10
Message 7 of 7

Jump to solution

Thanks again, worked like a charm, only have a few machines that were actually not running AV and I've "yelled" at our workstation group for that. Appreciate the help.

More McAfee Tools to Help You

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community