Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hentie
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 12

McScript_InUse.exe using 100% of CPU

On Monday when I arrived back in the office after the weekend, reports came in that systems are running at 100% util. Looking we found that McScript_InUse.exe was running at 100% util, killing the McScript_InUse.exe process caused framework.exe to jumped up and it started to run at 99%.

Searching around I found a KB on lowering the priority of Framework. This done the CPU was still running high.

Continuing searching I found a couple of references to exclusions and priority threats on VirusScan. To rule out VirusScan I uninstalled it on 2 servers. Problem still persisted.

By the lunch time it became apparent that it's on all systems within the company, about 1700 systems.

I deleted all client tasks from the ePO console to rule out tasks and deleted the task folder in the agent directory.

At 14:20 the McScript_InUse.exe dropped down to 20% and then stopped completely. The following morning at 8am it all stated up again and was running at 100% util.

Teusday Framework and McScript_InUse.exe were stopped throughout the company, VrusScan is still running. The company was unable to function due to this problem.

I support multiple companies with the same versions, but only this company have this problem.

Versions being used in the company.

ePO server - 4.5.0 Build 937

ePO Agent - 4.5.0.1499

VirusScan - 8.7.0.570 with Patch 3

11 Replies
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 12

Re: McScript_InUse.exe using 100% of CPU

Please open a case with support for this... we've seen a couple of cases like this and are getting the engineering team to look at them.

Thanks -

Joe

Hentie
Level 7
Message 3 of 12

Case was opened on Monday already. Still searching for solution.

SCtbe
Level 12
Message 4 of 12

I have almost similar case opened for this, but VSE is not instaled and FrameworkServer consumes 100% CPU for couple of hours after performing first ASCI.

This also happen on MA 4.5 P1 (b 1499)

McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 5 of 12

Is it mcscript_inuse.exe that's using all the CPU, though? If not then it's likely to be a different issue...

Thanks -

Joe

Hentie
Level 7
Message 6 of 12

McScript_InUse.exe uses 99-100% of CPU. If I "End Task" the McScript_InUse.exe process, Framework starts using 80-99% and re-launches McScript_InUse.exe whereupon McScript_InUse.exe start using 100% again and Framework returns to 0%.

on 2010/09/08 2:48:59 PM
dolchy
Level 7
Message 7 of 12

I've had reports of some computers freezing with McScript_InUse.exe at 100%. This occurred while the computers attempted to update the daily DATs while an On-Demand Scan was running.

Versions being used in the company.

ePO server - 4.5.0 Build 851

ePO Agent - 4.5.0.1499

VirusScan - 8.5.0.781 with Patch 8

I've now changed the DAT Update schedule to exclude the OD Scan schedule.

Hentie
Level 7
Message 8 of 12

I uninstalled McAfee on 2 servers. Installed only the ePO Agent and McScript_InUse.exe started running high again.

runcmd
Level 10
Message 9 of 12

Is this something that struck "out of the blue" or only since you installed Patch 3 in this environment?  There is a similar thread in the VSE forum which (whether legitimately or illegitimately) points the finger at Patch 3...

https://community.mcafee.com/message/148116

I'm getting ready to deploy Patch 3 in our environment and reading these types of threads is making me nervous. 

dolchy
Level 7
Message 10 of 12

PS. I'm using VSE 8.5 P8 on wiorkstations. This happened out of the blue. As a precaution, NO DAT updates are scheduled while computers are running weekly OD Scans.

I have 400 Windows Servers running VSE 8.7 P3 for almost 3 months now and no issues so far. Had to upgrade to this version on servers because of Win 2008 64 bit systems.