cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

possible solution

had this problem for myself, and tried anything just when i was about to format my full pc and start all over again, i thought what whould a bios reset do, and well it worked.

michiel

Add me to the list

We have a few machines that are experiencing this issue.

XP workstations
EPO 4.0
DAT: 5352.0000 5352.0000
Engine: 5200.2160 5200.2160

Does the McAfee support group monitor these threads?

Kurt

RE: Add me to the list

I just upgraded my machines to Hotfix 6 and the servers are now pegging McShield at 99% cpu. Other servers with other programs running at 99%, have dropped to 60-75% to let mcshield run at 25%.

The fix appears to be a restart but I can't restart the machines which were running at 99% before the patch. They have days/weeks left on their calculations... 😞

Running epo 4 patch 2 with rogue sensor and 8.5i with hotfix 6

RE: Add me to the list

We had the same problem, or something similar. What we were seeing on our end was two mcshield.exe processes - one of which was constantly pegged at ~50-60% of the CPU. The only way to fix it was to A) reboot or B)null stop the McAfee services which would kill off one of the mcshield.exe process, but the other one would continue to run. You had to forcefully kill the remaining, runaway mcshield.exe process and then you could fire up the McAfee services and everything ran ok.

You may want to check this out and see if you're seeing the same thing. Our environment is also ePO SP2 and Hotfix 6 for VSE 8.5.
mhhe
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 15 of 29

How to find Doc ID: 616344

OK, but how do I find the KB?? I have looked above, as you mention? But I can't find it.

You also mention: "We have a hotfix in QA now"... could you write a link to that section?
Reliable Contributor rmetzger
Reliable Contributor
Message 16 of 29

Link to Doc ID: 616344

Hi mhhe,

https://knowledge.mcafee.com/article/72/616344_f.SAL_Public.html

also see:

http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/showthread.php?t=224094

Have fun,
Ron Metzger
Thanks,
Ron Metzger

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Re: How to find Doc ID: 616344

Hi,

616344 is an ID from the previous KnowledgeBase. Is this what you are looking for:

KB53512 - High CPU usage after installing VirusScan Enterprise 8.5i Patch 6 (issue: two McShield processes running)

HTH

McAfee Employee wwarren
McAfee Employee
Message 18 of 29

Re: McScript_InUse.exe High CPU Performance

To reduce McScript_InUse.exe's impact to the system, please refer to this KB article: KB53690

Or: https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=kb53690

William W. Warren | S.I.R.R. | Customer Success Group | McAfee

We have 3 systems on our net that have also this issue.

Viruscan Enterprise 8.7i, patch 2 and mcscript_inuse.exe takes 100% cpu in random moments, after that mcshield goes up to 50% and in one case even mcshield.exe crashes.

The 3 computers are a little bit old (Pentium 1.7 GHZ and 1 Gb RAM), we tried to disable Artemis and didn't work either.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Ricard

Highlighted
Reliable Contributor rmetzger
Reliable Contributor
Message 20 of 29

rcarles wrote:

We have 3 systems on our net that have also this issue.

Viruscan Enterprise 8.7i, patch 2 and mcscript_inuse.exe takes 100% cpu in random moments, after that mcshield goes up to 50% and in one case even mcshield.exe crashes.

The 3 computers are a little bit old (Pentium 1.7 GHZ and 1 Gb RAM), we tried to disable Artemis and didn't work either.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Ricard

Ricard,

Based on your description, you may be experiencing 2 different problems: 1) mcscript_inuse.exe CPU issue, 2) McShield CPU issues and crash.

1) Try: https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=kb53690

Lowering the working thread priority helps relinquish CPU cycles to other processes during updates.

2) Try: https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB60651&pmv=print

By turning off Scan Processes On Enable, you may help with the seemingly random McShield CPU spikes. Based on McAfee statements, "This setting is intended for environments where security is more important than performance." As long as you have installed Patch 1 (VSE v8.7i) or later, this setting is suppose to be off by default, but may still be On.

Hopefully this is helpful, and post back with any questions.

Ron Metzger

Thanks,
Ron Metzger

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?
More McAfee Tools to Help You

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community