cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JKBH1
Level 9
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 4

McAfee ePO services - needing username and password?

Jump to solution

Is there a reason why these 3 McAfee ePO services need to define a username and password within each of the Service Properties? 

• The Application Server service (or Tomcat) is responsible for displaying the ePO console GUI.

• The Event Parser service takes events uploaded from clients in the environment and parses them into the SQL database.

• The Server service (or Apache) processes and receives all Agent-to-Server communication in the environment.

We had an issue where we could not see the evidences for incidents. It turned out the service account had an expired service account used for our evidence share. The password for the service account was renewed and passed the credential test. With the password situation rectified, we were still unable to view the evidences.

We found out that the ePO McAfee services had the same service account and needed to be changed. After the 3 ePO services were restarted, access to the evidences were fully restored.

Why do we need to define the username and password in these 3 services when it is already configured within the ePO itself, in this case the same service account used to access the evidence share? Can these 3 services have a different service account, i.e. not using the same service account used for the evidence share?   

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
McAfee Employee JoeBidgood
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 4

Re: McAfee ePO services - needing username and password?

Jump to solution

Yes, when installing ePO the services are created using the System account. Much older versions of ePO needed the services to run with a specific account under certain circumstances, but that hasn't been true for quite some time.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
McAfee Employee hem
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 4

Jump to solution

ePO services should be running with 'Local system account'. Any reason you set to run 'customer account/service account'?

Was my reply helpful?

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?
JKBH1
Level 9
Message 3 of 4

Jump to solution

Thank you. Honestly, I do not know the reason. It is configured as such by my predecessors. It makes sense to configure it as a local system account and not having to use a different password to restart the McAfee ePO services. 

Am I correct to assume that this is documented in the docs or KB when building ePO?

McAfee Employee JoeBidgood
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 4

Jump to solution

Yes, when installing ePO the services are created using the System account. Much older versions of ePO needed the services to run with a specific account under certain circumstances, but that hasn't been true for quite some time.

View solution in original post

More McAfee Tools to Help You

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community